Harriet With A Double 'R'

A oneshot for HHYtheking

Harriet's POV

As I walk down the streets of New Haven, I happily hum, I'd had a great day after all. You see, my boss, Oscar Trefusis, finally paid me. He also let me go home early from work for some reason, but I don't care about that. That means that I get to spend more time with my cow, Daisy. She's been my companion since I was five. I love her so much, she always has a way to cheer me up when I'm upset. She will lick my face and I will laugh. It's great when I'm having a tough time. Daisy is lovely. My cousin, Mary, is taking care of Daisy whenever I am at work or out of the house. I'm happy with our arrangement since she's so kind and caring.

I arrive at Mary's house and come inside. I walk through the house and head out to the backyard, wanting to see Daisy. I don't see her when I step outside. I walk around the backyard and look for her but I can't find her. I go over to the shed and open it. Sometimes Daisy will stay in there when it's cold or raining or dark. Mary doesn't let her inside, but she can always still wander in the house. I walk into the house and begin to look for Daisy. I don't find her anywhere in the house. I step into the kitchen and find Mary. She has her back to me and she is crouched over a book and writing in it, although I can't see what she's writing.

"Mary, have you seen Daisy? I can't seem to find her anywhere!" I ask.

"She's been sold," Mary replies.

I feel my heart drop into my stomach. "What?!"

"I sold the cow." She repeats, flashing me an evil smile.

I panic and rush outside. She cannot have been sold! Mary couldn't have done it! I check the backyard once more. There's no sign of Daisy anywhere! I storm back inside and walk into the kitchen, a lot of emotions swirling around in my head.

"I sold Daisy to a farmer and his daughter, who was just as tall as you, and they paid me enough money that we won't need to worry about money anymore!" Mary says, flashing me a cheerful smile.

I grab her by the collar, anger filling my bones. "How could you do this to me? She was family!"

"That bloody cow is not family, it's a waste of space! Ugh, it's your fault that we're in this place, you are the one who brought me here!" She exclaims, her voice loud as she gets angry.

Mary pushes me and I trip over my feet, falling to the ground. I'm starting to get scared from how mad she's getting. She takes the book that she was writing in and then tosses it at me, landing right in my lap. I can now see what was written in the book, which is Mary's account book, Daisy, 500 Concordian Shillings. She yells that the only thing that made me happy was my cow!

Suddenly, I feel a hand touch my cheek from my laying down position. I turn to see who it is. It's Aidan Moran, laying next to me with a predatory grin on his face. Moran is a sailor who roughed me up after I refused his romantic advances. I feel terrified.

"Why is he here?" 

"Moran paid me 200 Concordian Shillings to do whatever he wanted to you and I agreed for the money," Mary says.

I try to leave, but can't, I discover that I am now chained up by rope and not able to get off the ground. I cry as loud as I can for help but no one is coming to help me. While I'm crying, I try to observe my surroundings, but only see my boss, Oscar Trefusis, throwing away my belongings into the fireplace, things like my passport, ID card, and pictures I took with Daisy and my loved ones.
Trefusis sees me and says, "You won't be needing these anyway."

"You can't throw-" I start, but someone interrupts me as they step into the room.

It's Rivke Gilber, the widow who blamed me and Daisy for her family's death when I didn't even know who they were.