Fishers For Fun

A oneshot for CrinimalFrancine2020

Hugh's POV

I was surprised yesterday by Mister Jones and Gabriel. They said that they would like to take me fishing. This makes me nervous. This would be my first time being with them without Adelaine also being there. She is babysitting some local neighborhood kids with Audrey. I stand in the driveway outside, twiddling my thumbs as the sun beams down on me. Good thing I came prepared and dressed for the weather in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. I know that we're going fishing, but I don't know where they're taking me to do so. I hear a voice call my name and turn around. Gabriel is standing next to me, wearing shorts and a green tank top, much different than the sweater and black pants that I'm used to seeing him wear.

"Hey! Are you ready to have some fun?" Gabriel asks.

I nod, trying to hide my nervousness.

"Do you know where Jones is? I figured he'd be out here and packing the car." He wonders.

"I don't know, but he probably got distracted by something inside," I reply.

Gabriel chuckles. "Probably, Hugh, probably."

There are a few moments of silence. Uncomfortable silence. I stare at my feet, not knowing what to say, but finally, curiosity gets the best of me.

"Do you know where we're going? Like what lake, pond, river, or wherever we're fishing?" I query.

"There's a pond near Fairview High School, it's our favorite place to go fishing!" Gabriel informs.

"Alright! Are you ready to go fishing?" Jones asks as he walks over to us.

We both nod.

"Before we go, Hugh, I need to ask you something." He says.

"What is it, Sir?" I reply.

"Do you know how to fish?" Jones inquires.

"I do. I went once with my Dad." I answer.

"You look nervous, is everything alright?" Gabriel asks, resting his hand on my shoulder.

"Usually Adelaine's with me, we've never hung out without her... not to mention that I'm not a good swimmer..." I mutter.

"There's nothing to worry about, you'll be fine," Gabriel reassures.

"We'll be wearing fishing vests too," Jones adds, flashing me a caring smile.

With that, my worries were taken care of, at least most of them. Jones puts his stuff in the trunk and then tells us to get in. I climb into the backseat and then buckle up. Gabriel gets into the passenger seat and Jones gets in the driver seat. Jones drives to the pond, I am humming along to the music that was playing on the radio, and then parking a fair distance away from it. We leave the car and Jones hands each of us a fishing vest and a fishing rod. There's a little dock leading out of the pond, a perfect spot. I gaze out to the water, fishing vest on. It's quite pretty! I pick up a stone and toss it, watching it skip across the water, how beautiful. Gabriel comes over, a can of worms in hand, and puts one on the end of each rod, then takes his seat next to me. Jones sits next to me and then we begin to fish.

Something immediately takes the bait as I put it in the water. The rod pulls forward and I give it a good yank to get it back in control. I pulled and fought with whatever had bit my rod. Gabriel encourages me until I finally manage to get my catch out of the water. It's a fish and a pretty big one at that. Jones congratulated me and I panicked as the fish started to flop and squirm. Gabriel grabs the edge of my rod, pulling the fish off, and releasing it back into the water. I'm handed a worm and then I put the worm on the hook. I toss it back into the water, humming until the rod lurches me forward. I grab Jones' shoulder, squeezing him tightly so I don't fall into the water. He yells at me to pull and I pull very hard. A fish flies out of the water and lands on the dock right in front of me. I stare at it, surprised. Gabriel laughs, congratulating me on the two catches. Jones unhooks the fish, gently placing it into the water.