Chapter Forty-Nine.

Outside really was beautiful tonight. Carol had completely out done herself. Soft music floated through the air as couples danced along together. Lights were tied to the trees surrounding the property, illuminating everything around. 

My eyes landed on the refreshment table just on the other side of the dance floor and started making my way down to it, maneuvering between people, careful not touch them or draw any attention to me. 

        I was glad that I was wearing a mask for this, so no one knew it was me wearing the extremely girly dress. Just the thought of someone recognizing me made me want to grab as many drinks as I could and hide away until everyone left.

        After bumping a few people and not really caring enough to apologise  I made it to the refreshments table instantly grabbing a cookie, and shoving it unlady-like into my mouth.

"Lillie?" 

I spun around, mouthful of cookie, shocked that someone had recognized me. It took me a moment, staring at them, before I realised that it was Stefan. He looked good. His suit fit him perfectly and matched his small plain black mask covering his green eyes.

I turned back around to avoid looking at Stefan and chewed what was in my mouth. "Sorry, I think you have the wrong person." I mumbled around the food.

Out the corner of my eye, Stefan lent up against the table, arms crossed over his chest, smiling knowingly.  "Is that so?" 

"Yes." I said, my voice slightly higher than what's normal. I grabbed another cookie quickly, shoving it in my mouth.

"So," Stefan started. "I like you're necklace."

Out of instinct, I glanced down my my chest, the red cubic zirconia necklace that i always wore glinted in the lights. I glanced back up at Stefan. "I don't know what you're trying to say."

"Nothing. I like you're necklace... Lillie."

Okay, Obviously he's not falling for my lie. "How'd you know it was me?" 

Stefan grabbed some punch. "Believe it or not, you're pretty distinguishable."

"Even in this?" I gestured to the dress.

Stefan's eyes wandered over me, from head-to-toe before reaching my eyes. "Even in your dress, you look beautiful by the way."

I smiled. "Thank you." 

I turned to face the make-shift dance floor. "What are you doing here?" I asked. 

"Having fun." He lied. 

It was obvious. This was not really Stefan's scene. He doesn't do this kind of thing. The only reason he had gone to the previous events was because he kinda had to or he promised Elena he would go. Neither option being because he wanted to have fun.

Stefan didn't do fun. 

"Well, are you having fun?"

Stefan placed his punch down on the table and held out his hand. "I will be if you dance with me."

I glanced at his out-stretched hand to his face. He was watching me, waiting for my decision. 

"Okay." I said, placing my hand into his. 

His fingers curled around mine securely and started tugging me onto the dance floor. "So, i'm more than likely going to end up standing on your feet." I warned. "Just thought i'd let you know,  in case you wanted to back out."

Stefan spun me around abruptly before pulling me in close. His arm wrapping around my waist, holding me to him. "I won't mind." He said. 

"We'll see."