chapter twenty six

I'll meet you at the dance, Elena." I said to her as i walked bare footed down the stair, my dress flaring out around my knees and shoes dangling loosely from my finger.

Elena followed behind me, lipstick in one hand and hair brush in the other. "Are you sure? Cause I'm nearly done, and then we can get going when Stefan gets here."

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm sure."

I reached down and slipped on my heels quickly and then straightened up, brushing out the wrinkles in my dress. I reached for the door handle and the turned to Elena. "I'll be alright, okay." I said with a smile.

She nodded almost hesitantly, before plastering a fake smile onto her face. "Okay, I'll see you there, Lils."

I opened the door, slightly shivering and the cold breeze that blew in and walked out, shutting the door tightly behind me.

The walk to the dance didn't take as long as i thought it was going to. The darkness and the chilly breeze felt nice as i let my thoughts run wild. I felt guilty for breaking down in front of aunt Jenna and Elena. They're both suffering as well, i shouldn't be pushing my hurt, sadness and loneliness onto them, it's not fair.

The dance was lit up with brightly shining lights of reds, greens, blues and yellows. Music playing so loudly that the bass was felt vibrating through the floor and walls. The happy and excited atmosphere encircled me and immediately started to life my mood. I smiled as I walked into the hall, random students throwing me smiles as they twirled and danced together both elegantly and messily, enjoying themselves wholeheartedly.

I noticed, Elena, Bonnie and Caroline all huddled around a refreshments table and made my way over to them.

"Hey guys, you all look amazing." I said as I came to a stop next to them. Caroline and Bonnie grinned and returned the compliment.

"You made it here, okay, right?" Elena asked, taking a small step closer to me.

Caroline and Bonnie both shot her questioning glances that were ignored by Elena as her attention stayed trained on me. I smiled and nodded to her. "Yeah, nothing happened."

"Good."

"Hello, Ladies." Damon purred as he perched himself onto the edge of table, looking at us four.

Bonnie turned her head away from Damon and Caroline just snorted, otherwise no other words were said. Damon rolled his eyes in annoyance before moving so that he was stood in front of Bonnie and grinned.

"Hi, Bonnie, wanna dance?"

Bonnie just stared at him like he was crazy, before placing her plastic cup down on to the table and shook her head. "I'm out of here." She muttered as she turned her back to him and walked away, disappearing into the dancing crowd.

Damon then turned to Caroline, he just opened his mouth a few inches before Caroline scowled at him. "Back off, Damon!" She hissed and the left in the direction that Bonnie had fled.

Damon looked taken aback by the harsh responses and stood there shocked. His mouth was slightly ajar as he turned to look after in the direction the girls had left. I had to resist a smile that wanted to show. Elena on the other hand didn't bother trying to hide anything as she chuckled aloud. Damon's head snapped into her direction and glared slightly.

"What happened?" Stefan asked as he approached us from behind Elena.  I just shook my head and took a few small sips of Elena's punch she handed over to me.

"Caroline and Bonnie don't seem to like Damon very much." Elena replied, looking over her shoulder at the grinning Stefan. Elena smiled in response and continued to start lovingly up at Stefan.