Chapter Seventy-Nine

Sneaking into the hospital unnoticed wasn't too much of a struggle. I don't think anyone was really looking out for me though, so that helped. The only problem that I had was trying to get to Elena alone. I sat in the waiting area for what felt like hours – no doubt it had barely been even thirty minutes, but my nerves were fire with the possibility that someone could walk out of Elena's room and see me.
Currently Matt was the only one here with her. And it was sweet. I never expected them two to get back together after everything that had happened, with him dating Caroline and her dating Stefan, but I do remember hearing about their break-up before and being shocked by it. There was something about them that just seemed to work, that clicked. They were similar people with the way they see the world and the people in it. They're both gentle souls and unflinchingly careless when it comes to the people that they care the most for. They suited each other well, and knowing that my sister was being taken care of by someone like Matt eased my conscience, a little.
Matt leaving Elena's side at any point now seemed really unrealistic and naive on my behalf but I needed to see her, especially after last night. Luckily, she was going to survive, she's just lost a lot of blood and needed to stay in for a couple more days at least just to make sure that she's healthy and ready to go off. It was strange having to use my compulsion on a nurse, it was the first time that I had had to use to whilst being myself again and I didn't like the powering effect it had on me. Waves of control washed over me, and a small voice in the back of my head whispered about how much stronger I was than the weak-minded person I was fucking with.
A door opened to the left of me and with a quick glance to the side, I watched as Matt left Elena's room. He closed the door quietly behind him and he wandered off down the corridor. I took that as my key moment and I slipped inside the room, hopefully undetected.
Elena was asleep, completely out of it at the moment. Her heart monitor beeping normally and she looked healthy. I moved to take a seat in the chair beside her bed and inspected her neck. Stefan's blood did a good job, there was no markings to even indicate that she'd been attacked by a vampire -hybrid thing.
"Sorry I didn't visit before," I mumbled. "I wasn't quite sure what to say and obviously I still don't, considering I'm talking to you unconscious." I took a breath. "What I want to do is apologise, you deserve that. Even after the words I've been spitting at you, I know deep down you never gave up on me, that you wouldn't. That's not who you are, 'Lena."
She didn't move and that was comforting. I'm not ready to face her properly. I'm a wimp, I admit that. But Elena and Jeremy are the only family that I've got left and I have to make things right, I know that there are going to be hurtful things said to me. I'm not stupid, I know that I hurt her even after everything that she had been through; loosing everyone as she did, it's got to cause some kind of emotional damage and I don't want to contribute to that anymore. But I also don't want to hear her say the words I picture coming from her mouth.
"I know that seeing me right now isn't exactly at the top of your list, I'm sure," I continued, "but I needed to see that you're alright. I'm glad you're okay, sis. I really am and I love you. Deep down that never changed."
"I was waiting for you to turn up," a voice said from behind me.
I jumped in my chair and spun around, alert. "Matt!" I squeaked, my guard shooting back up. "I, uh, I-"
He raised his hand with an easy smile. "It's alright." He looked alarmingly at ease. Calm, even in my presence. "I knew you'd come and see her. Just no telling of when." He closed the thin door and moved to take the spare seat on the other side of Elena. A coffee clutched in one hand. "She asked for you before she fell asleep."
Hope filled me. "She did?"
He nodded and took a long sip. "Yeah. I told her you'd come eventually and she tried to stay awake, but the pain meds they've got her on knocked her out."
I gently grabbed her hand and held it. "I don't have a good reason for not being here earlier."
"You're here now."
"She's asleep," I pointed out. "I'm late."
"She knew that would happen too."
I rolled my eye. "Yes, okay, fine, I can't be on time for anything and in my defence this time I didn't know that I was supposed to be here before now."
"How're you doing?" Matt asked, suddenly changing the subject.
"Fine," I replied. "Good. You?" And this suddenly took an awkward turn.
He lifted his arm that was now in a white cast. "Broken hand."
"What the hell happened?"
He rested his cast on Elena's bed and took her other hand in his uninjured one. "The Mikaelson's like causing trouble."
I sighed. "Which one was it?"
"Kol. Although I heard it was under Rebekah's order."
"Why've they got it out for you? You're harmless."
Matt scowled, a sour look crossing his features. "I turned Rebekah's invitation to their ball down – she doesn't take rejection well and her brothers are far too protective when they want to be."
"Rebekah asked you out?" I laughed. "Oh my god! That's great! Doesn't she know that you're sickeningly in love with my sister."
"Oh she knows," he said. "She doesn't like it."
I let go of Elena's hand and ran mine through my hair. "It's actually kind of cute."
"Cute? Her jealousy got my hand crushed."
"I'm sure it wasn't her fault. I met Kol the other night and he seemed -what's the word- impulsive and very Klaus-like. He may look like a young adorable version or Elijah but he's got Klaus' temperament."
"It sound like you're defending Rebekah."
"Not really. Just putting the blame where it's due. If you want to add blame to Rebekah go ahead. I wasn't there so I don't really know what went down."
Matt grumbled under his breath and continued to take a long drink, before holding it out for me.
"No thanks," I shook my head. "I should actually, uh, get going. You know, before anyone else decides to stop by. I'm not exactly being welcomed by most."
"Don't mind them," he said, with what I hoped was supposed to be a comforting smile. "They just need time."
I stood. "I know, doesn't stop it from hurting any less though.
Matt got to his feet too. "I'll tell her you stopped by."
"Don't," I said. "I'll come see her later on today."
"You sure? She'll be happy to hear it."
"Yeah, I'd like it to be a surprise. Although," I said. "if she starts to get all moody that I haven't been to see her, then you can tell her. Make her feel bad for bad mouthing me."
He laughed. "Whatever you say."
He took his seat again and reclaimed Elena's hand, pressing a kiss to her knuckled. My heart melted a little bit – only a little bit! "I'll see you around, Matt."

___________________________________________________________________