chapter twelve

I felt disconnected from the world surrounding me. I felt numb from the tramatic experiences that occurred yesterday. Images of Tony and Ruby's mangled bodies flashed through my mind like a slide-show stuck on repeat, forcing me to relive every detail.

Laying here in bed, staring aimlessly at the white ceiling above did nothing but encourage the memories to restart and gradually grew more gruesome.

Tony and Ruby weren't the only thing on my mind, but Vicki aswell. She's one of them. A vampire. Someone who lives off of blood, other people's blood. Does that make her a killer now? The question swirled around my mind following after the sickening images of Vicki smiling up at me, crimson liquid covering her mouth and slowly dripping from her chin back onto the body of her victim.

The images changed one after the other to different scenarios, the only thing that stayed the same was the lifeless body she kept killing repeatedly.

"Lils?" Elena voice asked from the other side of my bedroom door. I turned my head slightly to face the door but otherwise said nothing. It was silent for a few moments before the door slowly swung open to show a concerned Elena. I must have looked just as bad as I felt as I watched her eyes foam my face with a frown etched upon her face. I turned my head away back to the ceiling, watching the nothingness. The bed dipped beside me and Elena slid into my bed carefully, pulling me over and into a comforting hug. It was times like these that I was grateful that I had Elena. She always had my back and in return i'll alway have hers.

"Lillie, what happened yesterday?" She whispered into my hair as she pulled me tighter. I whimpered and snuggled closer, ignoring her question. I didn't wanna talk about it. I couldn't talk about it, because when I do that's when it's going to become more real. She lightly pushed me away and took a gentil hold on my chin making me face her.

"Come on, Lils. Talk to me." She begged. I looked into her eyes and then shook my head.

"I can't." I whispered before crawling over her and out the room to the kitchen.

Jeremy was the only one in the kitchen. He was quietly making himself a cup of coffee with him back to me.

"I'll have one, please." I mumbled just loud enough for him to hear me while settling myself on to the sofa. I pulled my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms tightly around them.

I only had to wait a few moments before someone joined me on the sofa and held a mug of coffee in front of my face. I unlatched one hand and gratefully took it from him muttering a "Thanks." I blew on it a few times before cautiously sipping it. The hot liquid slid soothingly down my throat, sip after sip.

"What happened the other day? At the graveyard?" Jeremy voiced out from beside me, making me jump slightly. I turned around to face him and foreign confused.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

He looked at me for a few seconds. "Vicki mentioned that you were at the graveyard with her," He paused briefly. "And her friends. What happened that night, Anny?"

I wanted to tell him, or anyone. I needed to talk about it, but I couldn't. Who would believe me anyway. I'm alone...Again.

"I don't know. I don't remember." I lied, looking anywhere but at him.

He didn't say anything really after that. We just sat in silence, untill he stood up grabbing both his and my empty mugs, taking them to the kitchen before grabbing him bag and heading towards that door.

"Where you going?" I asked.

"Out to look for Vicki."

"Be careful, okay?" I asked as he opened the door. He glanced back at me and nodded slightly, then walked out the house.

"I'm sorry, okay?" Elena said, gripping ahold of my hand tighter as she used her free hand to knock upon the Salvatore's front door.

"Please, Elena. I don't wanna be here." I begged, pulling at her hand trying to pry it loose, with know success. I could feel my heart start to beat faster and my breathing start to increase.

"Calm down, okay? Everything's going to be fine." She assured lightly as the door swung open to show a smirking Damon. I shuffled backwards, hiding behind Elena slightly as he lent against the door frame looking down at us.

"Is Stefan here?" Elena asked haughtily.

"Yep."

"Where is he?" She demanded.

"And good morning to you too, little miss 'Im on a mission'." Damon chuckled, stepping aside giving us room to walk in. Elena waltzed in without a second thought and I hesitated before following behind. Elena glared at him as she stopped next to him.

"How can you be so arrogant and glib after everything you've done?" She shot at him, her glare never once faltering.

"And how can you be so brave and stupid to call a Vampire arrogant and glib?" He countered, stepping closer. With out thinking I stepped out in front of Elena facing Damon. I didn't trust him and no matter what i will always protect the people I care about, no matter what. Damon's eyes focused on me and his smirk intensified a fraction. I felt his eyes roam every inch of me starting from my feet. I felt self-conscience as he looked at me. Studying me. His eyes settled briefly on neck, making me quickly bring my left hand up to cover it quickly. I froze in place when my hand didn't come in contact with any wounds. I felt all around and found nothing. The skin was perfect, and unbroken. There was no mark anywhere, no scratch, no blemish, no nothing. My eyes widened in disbelief.

How? What? I asked myself over and over. Just yesterday my throat had been torn into, now there was nothing. I didn't dream it, i know that for a fact. But, what?

I took a shaky deep breath and looked back up, only to find myself staring into piercing blue eyes. His eyes admittedly, were beautiful. When they weren't that of a demon. His eyes seemed to hold a story. A story that seemed to go on forever. There was pain, guilt and many more emotions that im sure not even he knew where hidden there, behind his eyes. I seemed lost as i gazed deeper. Everything around me seemed to fade away.

"If you wanted me dead, I'd be dead." Elena stated from behind me, causing me to jump and break eye contact in surprise.

"Yes, you would." He informed, still not taking his eyes from me.

"But, im not."

"Yet." He casually pointed out.

"Where is Stefan?" Elena huffed out in annoyance.

"He's upstairs singing 'The rain in spain'. Knock yourself out."

Elena rolled her eyes and stormed past him into the house, leaving me there standing alone with Damon Salvatore. I rocked back on the balls of my feet, I had nothing to say to him. Nothing at all. I could feel him staring at me from the door frame, and I shifted uncomfortably.

"So, yesterday was fun." Damon said, chuckling slightly.

"Oh, yes. The highlight of my life." I retorted sarcastically. Again he chuckled, stepping closer out the open door.

"Should do it again sometime." He suggested, looking over his shoulder at me.

I scoffed. "Yes, definitely. I love being held hostage."

"Well, you may not have enjoyed it, but I definitely did." He responded before walking out the door, shutting it closed behind him.

As soon as I heard the click of the door, a shiver rolled down my spin.