chapter thirteen

All four of us were seated at a dining table. Stefan at one end, Elena and Vicki sat on either side of him and i decided to sit as far away from the two Vampires as possible. Which left me with the other end chair, leaving the chairs on either side of me free.

The whole visit so far, I havent uttered a word, not to any of the three. I just sat here huddled up watching them interact. Vicki tried talking to me several time and it pained me to ignore her, but i just couldn't bring myself to say anything to her. I didn't have anything to say to her... Or Stefan. I'd catch him glancing at me now and then, and sometimes he'd hold my gaze for a few moments, before looking away back to Elena.

"Coffee is out friend. It's the caffeine. It circulates through our veins, and it warms our body so we're not cold to the touch." Stefan informed Vicki, pushing a mug of Coffee towards her.

"Well, what if I wanna drink human blood?" She asked, fiddling with the mug in front of her. I cringed inwardly at the question and slightly screwed up my face, before quickly composing myself.

"You're gonna have to learn to live with that urge and fight it on a daily basis one day at a time." Stefan explained.

"Oh god! Dont start with the 24 steps thing. The school counselor has been down that road, and it doesn't work." Vicki huffed. I couldn't stop the chuckle that slipped through my mouth. All three head turned to me. Vicki smiled at me, Stefan looked like he was analysing me and Elena just looked confused.

"What?" Elena asked.

I shrugged. "Nothing."

The room was silent for a couple of seconds before Vicki turned her attention back to Stefan.

"Have you ever tasted human blood?" Vicki asked.

I sat up straighter in my chair and lent forward against the table, watching him. He shuffled slightly and coughed, clearing his throat before answering.

"Not in a long time." He revealed. His eyes flickered from mine to Elena's a few times.

"How long?" She asked again.

"Years and years. I'm not proud of my past behavior." He replied truthfully, again his attention shifted from me and Elena. I felt uncomfortable when our eyes would connect, especially when i saw something familiar fluttering around inside. There was something familiar about both the Salvatore brother. But what?

"Where's you bathroom? I have to pee. Why do i have to pee? I thought i was dead." She mumbled, ambling off in search for a bathroom.

"I'm going to, uh... I'm going to get her some more. All right. I'll be quick." Stefan left the room to retrieve more blood for Vicki.

Elena turned to me and gave me a weak smile.

"I'm sorry you have to be here." I apologized.

"It's fine, Lena. I'll get over it all, eventually." I said playing with my fingers.

"False alarm. my body's feeling really funky. It's a good funk, but it's weird." Vicki said strolling back into the room typing away on her phone.

"Who are you talking to?" Elena asked.

"Give her some privacy, Lena." I scoffed, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Jeremy." She replied with a shrug.

I smiled again at the thought of my best friend and brother, they deserved each other. Or did.

"Vicki, you can't see Jeremy anymore." Elena instructed. I lifted my left eyebrow slightly.

"Oh, come on, don't you start. I'm gonna see whoever i wanna see."

"Even though you could hurt him?"

"I would never hurt Jeremy."

"Elena, you need to calm down. You can't be telling her who she can and cannot see. It's her life," I paused for a moment, and pursed my lips. "or her undead life. She would never hurt Jeremy. Okay. Trust her."

"Look, i know you guys think that, but we can't take the risk. You're gonna have to let Jeremy go." Elena stated.

I stood up pushing my chair away from the table, and walked round so I was in front of Elena and beside Vicki.

"Look, Vicki shouldnt have to let Jeremy go. I completely understand that you're trying to protect him, but him and Vicki are in love, whether you want to believe it or not." I argued. Elena looked up at me in disbelief.

"This is our baby brother we're talking about and you wanna put him in danger?" Elena spat.

"Are you in danger?" I asked. Her and Vicki looked confused.

"What's this gotta do about me?"

"So, you're not dating a Vampire? Or were?" Elena looked lost for words.

"Yes, but that's different." She defended.

"Not really. I'm not saying that Vicki isn't going to be a danger at some point, because she probley will be, but Stefan has the same possibility. What make you special?" I explained to her truthfully, as I saw the situation.

She was speechless, she didn't know what to say. She just looked at me, so I carried on.

"Nothing. Nothing in this situation makes you special, Elena. Stefan is still a vampire remember, he still has the carving for blood and if you weren't aware, that stuff is being pumped through your veins. You're as much a temptation to him and Jeremy will be to Vicki." I finished.

"Stefan has more practice. He's been around longer." Elena defended.

"Exactly. She needs practice and speak up if im wrong but she's doing well. She's got two bodies filled with warm flowing blood and she hasn't once gone near it. She needs her human life as well, Elena and that include Jer." Elena looked at me properly. I could see in her eyes that she was slowly understanding what i said. But just because she understood doesn't mean she liked what she heard.

Stefan walked back in, in that moment, a small smile played at him lips. Elena stood up and started towards the door.

"I need to get going." She muttered.

"Elena..." Stefan began but Elena cut him off. "Please Stefan. There's only so much i can take."

She left, with out so much as a glance back. I heard her engine start and then the noise faded as it got further away.

"Well, that's me rideless." I mumbled to myself.

"Thankyou." Vicki cried before launching herself at me, vamp speed. She wrapped her arms around me and pulled me tightly to her and she hugged me. 'Thankyou.' She repeated over and over.

Hesitantly I wrapped my arms around her in return and sighed deeply.

"It's okay, Vic." I cooed softly. Hugging her reminded me of all of our memories and I smiled. She was still my bestfriend...Who now drinks blood. "It's okay, Vic." I whispered once again.