Chapter Fifty-Four.

Last night, I must have fallen asleep on Stefan because I couldn't remember him leaving at all and I'm pretty sure I didn't tuck myself into bed either. It was sweet of him to do that before sneaking out and I appreciate him talking to me too, calming me down about Elena. And just being there.

    "I'm going to see Stefan, I need to talk to him. Are you coming?" Elena's head poked into my room as I was in the middle of brushing my hair.

    I nodded. "Give me a minute."

    Instead of turning away and wondering off she pushed my door open further and sat on my bed. "I'm sorry that you're angry at me. I really am, Lils. But you need to understand that this is something I have to do."

    I sighed and put my brush down on my desk. "Look, I get that you want to be the hero and I don't blame you, but I need you to think of us too. We've lost too much and we won't be able to deal with loosing anymore. If this is what you really want to do, I won't get in the way but I'll never be happy with your decision."

    Elena smiled sadly. "I don't expect you to be, but thank you for trying to understand."

    I gave a curt nod and grabbed my jacket from my chair. "You ready?"

    The drive to the Salvatore's was much too familiar now and I was grateful that Elena and I were slowly falling back into place. I'm not going to forget everything she has done or her stupid deal with Elijah and the fact she wants to die for us but I was willing to ignore it until the last possible moment. If there was even the smallest chance that Elena was going to die I don't want to lose her and us not to have sorted out our relationship. I would hate myself for the rest of life is that happened to be the case.

    The house was surprisingly silent as Elena and I entered, no one was in sight. The parlor was empty and an abandoned scotch glass sat on one of the tables, still full. Where was everyone?

    I glanced at Elena and she just shrugged and walked past me up the stairs.

We kept going in silence toward Stefan's room and just as we got to the top of the stairs voices drifted to us. Stefan and Damon.

    "It's real Stefan. The legends are true, don't brush this off –One bite from a werewolf will kill us." Damon said.

    "How do you know this?"

    "Rose and I," I cringed. "Were attacked last night. Mason's wolf friend is in town and I managed to piss her off. She wanted revenge and accidentally bit Rose. She dying."

     Elena looked at me with wide eyes and mouth agape. I didn't know how to take that news. I mean, I didn't really like her –mainly because she slept with Damon- but I didn't want her dead.

    "Where were you last night?" Damon suddenly asked. "Elena phoned telling me Elijah got you out of the tomb and you didn't return home until this morning. No one had seen you."

    I could literally feel myself pale. I felt guilty. I know that I shouldn't and that Stefan and I are just friends but it doesn't look or sound good knowing that he spent the night with me.

    "I was with Lillie." Stefan confessed.  I was hoping he would say anything, just lied about it. But why would he. HE doesn't see anything wrong with it and there isn't really.

    Unfortunately Damon's back was too me and I couldn't make out anything. His posture gave nothing away on how he was feeling.

    "What?" Damon's voice was hard.