Chapter Seventy-Three

"She's dangerous. She should be restrained."
"She's asleep, Elena, what kind of trouble could she cause asleep."
"It's Lillie! She's always caused trouble asleep or not - even when she was human."
"Elena, drop it. If I didn't think that we were getting anywhere with her, I would understand you, but we are. She's reacting to things."
"Like what?"
"Like me," I cracked one of my eyes open and stared at Damon and Elena's backs. ". . .And Stefan."
"I don't get those two. They're both emotionless but they seem extremely attached to one another."
I pulled the covers up to my chin and watched them. Damon sighed. "I don't understand either. They're not supposed to be acting that way. They're not supposed to care."
"Have you seen them together?"
Damon picked up a glass of bourbon and downed it. "More than I would have liked."
"You've seen more than you should have too," I said.
The two jolted around to face me. Elena scowled and Damon had managed to ease his features to make him look uninterested.
I smoothed my hands down the silk sheets. "I really did miss your bed, Damon. But I don't remember you having silk."
"New purchase." He replied.
"You did well. I might just have to take up residence in your bed more often." I put my hands behind my head and grinned at the two. "It's comfier than Stefan's."
My grin fades a little as Damon continued to look unaffected by me. My little jab at mine and Stefan's 'relationship,' did nothing. He didn't flinch, the little muscle in his jaw that likes to twitch when we used to argue or I said something stupid didn't jump. He was completely unfazed by it. Like it didn't bother him anymore - like he didn't care.
I sat up and frowned. "What happened to you?"
Elena copied me and frowned. "What are you talking about?"
"I'm not talking to you," I said. "Him,"
Damon cocked his head to the side. "What are you muttering about?"
"What did you do?"
He knew what I was talking about, his eyes lit up knowingly and the corners of his lips curved. "I don't know what you're talking about."
I tossed back the covers and stood up. "What. Did. You. Do?" I questioned one more. Each one of my words being pronounced with more emphasis.
"You told us yesterday that you're were going to continue tormenting me, that it was fun and you were enjoying it. Well i'm not going to play your game. Barbie Klaus doesn't exactly like me but she had no problem using her compulsion in my favor."
"Damon. . ." Elena trailed off.
My eyes darted between the two. He didn't. . . He wouldn't just compel away all his feelings. He wouldn't do that. That's against everything that he believes in. Everything that he told me about himself.
"What, Elena? I don't have to tell you everything that I do in my life." Damon snapped.
"You do when you're making reckless decisions."
"You're not one to judge on ones recklessness." He retorted.
I couldn't help but just stare at him in disbelief. This wasn't Damon. "You're lying." I said. "You would never go through with something like that. It's like taking away your own freedom- you'd never give it up. I know you, Damon and that person isn't you."
"You used to know me." He said. "When you were human and you loved me. Then you knew me. And now I'm like you, I don't care about you anymore, and I can't seem to figure out why I did before. You were nothing but a pain, you caused too much trouble, you swear too much, it's not attractive on a girl your age. And what did you ever do to show me that you loved me, nothing. I don't feel for you anymore. So if you can't hurt me who do you have left."
"Uh, everyone else." I looked at him blankly. I wasn't quite sure how to react to Damon not caring. Something inside me stirred and I suddenly felt extremely uncomfortable and exposed.
"Why am I here?" I tried to change the topic. Something wasn't right, in me or with everyone else.
"We saved you after saving Elena." Damon said. He snatched something up and then tossed it my way. I caught it; it being a large black robe. I glanced down and rolled my eyes. "You couldn't have dressed me?"
"We've done our good deeds for the day." He replied.
I slipped it on and tied it loosely around my waist. "Clothes?"
"We didn't think that far ahead." Elena said.
"I didn't think you would have. How your neck?"
Instinctively her hand touched her throat where I had previously torn into it. I could still taste the lingering taunt of her blood on my tongue.
"I'll live." She replied.
"Hmm, speaking of food. I'm hungry."
Damon tossed something and I caught it. "Blood."
"Have I told you that you're my favourite." I said, and then tore my way into the blood bag. Damon and Elena both rolled there eyes.
"I should really get going." Elena slid her jacket on and grabbed her bag. "Thank you for rescuing me, Damon." I watched , subtly with narrowed eyes as Elena gently touched his arm. "Really, thank you."