Chapter 45: 「Fallen Angel」

It was a good time as things at Home, Beach City and Little Homeworld were getting peaceful. Having to bodyguard Steven made you stressed out at times and made you uneasy when you stopped smoking, but with Red's help, it seemed like everything was going in the right direction. Some days were good, some made you question yourself at best as Steven tried to make friends but failed while losing Peridot and Connie after some arguments. Things on that end made you worry, but you tried your best not to stress out by venting out your angst filled rage by moonlighting as a Mercenary again.

Empire City

Night

As you moonlighted again in the dark of night made you less uneasy from not smoking, and considering you've been dealing with Steven's problems left and right for the past two months, trying your hardest not to be impatient and angry as a friend. But with almost no solution to them and more problems that kept piling on, you felt irked.

Red: (You know you don't have to hold yourself back from your vices.)

Y|N: "I'm doing this out of my own volition. There's a thing called moderation, Y'know."

Red: (Fair enough.)

You were standing on the roof of a giant skyscraper and viewed over the city as you breathed in the fresh air then-

》》!

Y|N: "Oh, What Now?!"

You felt Steven's energy close by.

Red: (Better find out.)
-

You portaled over to see Steven shaking, which didn't make your uneasiness any better.

Y|N: "Hey, Kid."
He jumped in fear for a second then realized it was you.

Steven: "Why does it have to be you?!"

Red: (I was going to ask the same question.)

Y|N: "Chill out for a second, Kid. What's the matter?"

Steven: "I just crashed my dad's van just driving back home and-"

Y|N: "I see now. D'ya need any help, or...?"

Steven: "Oh, no. It should be fine..."

Y|N: "Let's take a walk, Kid. I'm sure you need time to process what happened."
-

You walked around the city and kept your patience with the kid as he told you that he had an argument with Mr. Universe after spending the day with him. Not to mention the fact he made a scene at the hospital during his 1st appointment two days back.

Y|N: "Kid, things happen for a reason. You can't get mad at your Father for being what he was. He followed his dream as best as he could. You're pretty lucky by my standards."

Steven: "In What Way?"

Y|N: "My Father was a low-tier Mafia Boss that ruined people's lives. Other than that, we're not so different, you and I."

Steven : "That's pretty different to me."

Y|N: "Kid, my Mother died in a prison cell giving birth to me. I find a lot of connections between us. Hell, I'mma make a poem outta you.

Tears of joy at the birth of a brother

Never alone from that time.

Sixteen Years through Gem fights and danger

Strangely, why his life, not mine?"

You could tell Steven was getting angry.

Steven: "You're nothing but a damn joke! You're a selfish, greedy clown! And I'm a 'kid', we're supposed to like clowns! Even the creepy ones!"