Chapter 10: Fist vs. Gauntlet

Empire City, 14 years ago.

A peaceful city for rich people to enjoy themselves and strike deals for their businesses.

All of that was a facade; what kept the city peaceful was the underground syndicates that controlled it. The most infamous of them was the Suit Mafia: known for its 52 members divided up into four gangs; Clubs, Diamonds, Hearts, and Spades. 13 members in each gang.

Night

At an underground warehouse, a woman with distinguishing white patches that contrasted with her black skin, blue and green eyes, branded with a Clubs symbol on her arm, was holding a battered and bruised child close to her chest on one knee while a tall man wearing reflective sunglasses with a Spade symbol on his neck stood over her. There were three, but the woman knocked the other two out. The man raised a gun toward her forehead, and raised his hand palm up. She growled at him in a feral manner, but it didn't intimidate him.

(Jack) Garret: "Hand him over."

(Ace): "..."

-

Tonight

Of all the places and all the times, it had to be right here and right now. You were on your knees with Jasper's gem, growling at the fusion that poofed her. A flash of lightning lit up the area for mere seconds as the rain wasn't close to clearing up and the Fusion reached her hand toward you with a more demanding voice.

Fusion: "Do not make me tell you again. Hand her over."

Y/N: "If you want her, it'll be over my dead body! I will not let you take her away from me without a fight!"

Fusion: "It doesn't have to be this way. You don't know the dangers of fraternizing with a gem like her."

Y/N: "You're wrong!"

Fusion: "Am I?"

You got confused for a second, then immediately got even angrier. You placed Jasper's gem into your pocket, then charged right at the fusion with a full powered punch that she blocked, a shockwave from the attack made the surrounding rain deflect around you.

You continued with a barrage of punches, she started to parry and dodge almost instantly, then she went right into the offensive by fighting back. Each of her attacks were faster than what your eyes could see, until suddenly you caught up and started to block her attacks with your fists.

Something felt off when you fought her. Even though you knew you had the advantage, the fusion was always a few steps ahead of you. Were your attacks that predictable? The thought alone pissed you off even more. But it was just a theory, for now.

Y/N: (Time for a change of pace.) You jumped back, then ran off into the forest. The fusion started to follow behind. As you passed through the heavily wooded area, you soon lost track of where the fusion was until you reached a small lake where she was waiting for you. (How did she-?!)

The fusion's arms were crossed, you could tell she was getting impatient.

(Ugh. Whatever, it got her away from the cabin. No more damage from that.) "*Sigh* Good freakin' grief, guess there's no turning back now."

You charged at the Fusion, but instead of attacking at the front, you disappeared and reappeared to attack from behind. That was the plan until you felt a gauntlet getting slammed against your face. The impact made you fly backwards, making you land on your back. Your jaw was popped out of place, but you couldn't feel the pain. You actually started to laugh as you stood up, you realized what was the reason why the fusion was always a few steps ahead of you.

Fusion: "Why are you laughing?"

Y/N: "Nothing, really. *Pops jaw into place* So that's why Jasper had a hard time with you."

Fusion: "What?"

Y/N: "Quit acting like I don't know it, you wanted me to know! There was no way anybody else would've seen that coming. You were just toying with us!"

The fusion looked surprised but kept her composure, she pushed her visors up and sighed.

Fusion: "Well, cat's out of the bag. But why would it matter to you?"

Y/N: "Because it's insulting! It's not fair to fight someone that can see the future!"

Fusion: "I suppose so. But before you start attacking again, why did you hold back?"

Y/N: "Eh?"

Fusion: "Amethyst and Pearl. You had the raw power and strength, you could've shattered them at any moment, and yet you didn't. Why?"

Y/N: "Tch! As if I know. I just didn't really think about doing it, I guess. And unlike you, I don't fight dirty."

Fusion: "I see... And what about the gem in your chest?"

Y/N: "Oh, this? Just got it an hour ago. I died, then got brought back to life. I'm still getting used to it."

Fusion: "Interesting." She unsummons her gauntlets and starts to walk away.

Y/N: "Hey, yo! Where are you going?! I haven't finished fighting you!"

Fusion: "I've seen enough, Y/N. I only came here to see your strength and potential, you didn't disappoint. We'll leave you and Jasper alone for now. I trust that one day we can be great allies."

Y/N: "At least tell me your name!"

Fusion: "It's Garnet."

Y/N: "I'll remember that!"

She kept walking while you stood there confused. Nobody walked away during a fight, so why her? You shrugged and walked back home. Chloe must be pretty worried.

-

As Garnet walked towards a warp pad an acre away from Y/N's house, the Amethyst stood by it while holding the Pearl in her hand.

Amethyst: "So... How'd it go?"

Garnet: "A lot faster and easier than what I had foreseen. That human did quite a number, he managed to crack my gauntlets when he first attacked with full force. That was a first."

Amethyst: "Yeah. All that hassle, and we couldn't get him to join our side."

Garnet: "He will in due time. We'll just have to wait." Garnet pushes up her visors and steps onto the warp pad, Amethyst followed. "I think I forgot to mention something to Y/N..." The two suddenly hear a voice in the distance, as if someone was howling in pure agony. Then it hits her. "Oh, that's what it was." The warp pad flashed a bright light and the two gems were gone.

-

After what could've been a great fight, you walked home holding Jasper's gem. While you kept on walking, you finally realize that your knuckles were bleeding. The differences of your leather gloves and Garnet's gauntlets were very apparent. It felt like punching a brick wall, the only difference was you couldn't feel the skin of your knuckles peeling off. But that was the least of your concerns at the moment.

Suddenly, you felt an immediate shock of pain from all over your body. A large wave of red and black energy was exuding all around you. The pain coming from your head felt like it was about to split open, you instinctively grabbed it. Your legs had given out, making you fall to your knees. The pain from your head had started to spread out onto your chest.

Your body felt like it was on fire as you started to breathe heavily, it was unbearable. The rain that covered you was starting to evaporate. The gem on your chest had started to glow and you didn't know why.

Y/N: "What's... going on?! Why am I... feeling this?! This pain!!!" You gave out a loud howl of agonizing pain before losing consciousness and collapsed onto the mud.

To be continued...