Chapter 12: Good Hunting

A week later

Somewhere in a frozen forest at the Great North

You're walking around with Jasper on a hunting mission to catch a corrupted gem. She said that these monsters used to be gems that fought in the war, and she plans on making an army with them. You didn't really mind though, you thought it could help with your training, so you tagged along with her.

Jasper: "Let's split up so we can track it faster."

Y/N: "Aight, good luck on your side." You kissed her.
Jasper: "You too." She starts walking in a different direction as you kept walking.

-

An hour later

Even though you were in a few inches of snow, you felt like you over dressed. You were wearing boots under your black work jumpsuit, it felt like you were overheating. But you didn't pay attention to it as you pull out a joint from the inside pocket and started to smoke it. You kept looking around for any trace of a corrupted gem until you found some paw prints.

Y/N: "Finally. Now all I gotta do is find it... *Stares at the tracks* They look fresh... it's heading west." You start to run after the tracks until your ears started to twitch, you could hear voices coming from behind you. You instinctively jumped away and landed on a tree branch, you could see where the voices were coming from. Two children, a boy in the snow and a girl standing next to him. A walkie-talkie beeped.

?: {Steven, Connie? I'm not having any luck finding this monster. We might have to return to the Temple and regroup.}

Y/N: (That voice... It's the Pearl! Why would she be here?!)

Connie: "No, no! We can handle it! We're making great progress. We can definitely take care of this ourselves."

Y/N: (They're probably looking for the corrupted gem. This ain't good, I better find it before they do.) You started to breathe a little heavy. (Shit! I better calm down, I don't wanna be spotted-!) You felt your gem glowing, then suddenly, a mask started to form over half your face from the nose-down. (That's new... Whatever, gotta calm down.) You started to breathe slower, then you noticed the two kids staring at the tracks.

Connie: "Woah. Now this is a mess! Some of these prints look humanoid... Could Pearl have been here?"

Steven: " But, Pearl went the other direction."

Y/N: (Shit! Those are mine!) You suddenly notice that it was starting to snow, and the kids started to walk away. (Phew. Finally, I'm alone again. Hold on... Why were those kids with that Pearl? Did Garnet send them out here? That must be the case... Good freakin' grief.)

Your mask disappears as you jump out of the tree then start running west.

-

After a long while, you finally find a giant corrupted gem. It was teal with red and dark green spots around its body, walking on all fours with no eyes, white hair and horns on its head. It was walking around like a chicken with no head until you got its attention.

Y/N: "HA! Found you." It started to growl at you, then it started charging towards you. You stood your ground until the gem swiped you with its paw, you managed to block it but it made you fall on your side into a tree. You stood back up and started to laugh. "That all you got?" The monster looked confused. "Heh, my turn."
You charge at it with a punch across its face, making it fall back. It looked at you and immediately was frightened. It made a loud roar, shook its head and ran away. "Are you kidding me?! I barely tapped you!" You sighed.

You felt a hand on your shoulder, you look behind you and it was Jasper.

Jasper: "I see you found another one." You see a brown gem in her hand.

Y/N: "Yeah, but don't worry. I'll get it."

Jasper: "It ain't that difficult, just rip its gem out."

Y/N: "Aight." You start running after the snow gem.

-

After a few minutes, you finally find the monster again. Only this time, you see the two kids getting attacked. The boy was on his knees, while the girl was holding a pink sword right in front of her. She looked scared. You then hear the walkie-talkie beep right behind the gem. Within seconds, you saw the girl slide under the beast and grabbed the walkie-talkie.

Y/N: "Clever girl." You muttered. (Now's my chance!)

You immediately summon your mask and charge at the gem. You tackled it down and started to repeatedly punch it. It tried to run away again, but you grabbed its hind leg and threw it over your shoulder with ease, making it land on its back. You then jumped on top of it, and started to laugh.

Y/N: "Did you really think you'd run away again? Ha! You're sorely mistaken." You reach over and grab the monster's gem, it was about to roar again until you pulled it out, poofing it in the process. "Too easy."

You look at the frightened kids, there was a small bubble surrounding them. You then see the Pearl swiftly leap in right next to them holding her spear.

Pearl: "Connie, where's the-!" She immediately sees you as your mask disappears and starts to freak out.

Y/N: "Oh, hello Pearl."

Pearl: "KAL!?"

Y/N: "It's been a while. Glad you've reformed alright."

Pearl: "If you're here, then where's-!"

Y/N: "Jasper? She's not so far away, but that shouldn't matter to you right now." You start walking towards her. She jumped in front of you and aimed her spear right at your face.

Pearl: "Stop right there!"

Y/N: "Hmm?"

Pearl: "I don't know what your game is, but I will not let you hurt them!"

Y/N: "*Moves the spear away with your finger* Hey, if I wanted to hurt anyone here, *Looks at the kids then looks back at the pearl with a smug grin* I would've done so already. But that's not why I'm here, that's below me. I ain't got time for someone that's already lost to me. No, my work here is done."

Pearl: "...!"

You walk away then call out to Jasper.

Y/N: "Hey, Babe! I got it!" You see Jasper land right next to you. "You were right, ain't that difficult."

Jasper: "I knew you could do it. *Kisses you*"

Pearl: "Jasper!"

You both look at the group and start to laugh. You show them the gems that you captured, and also show yours as you stick your tongue out.

Jasper: "Heh, heh. Hey Rose, look what I got."

The boy takes out his phone and snaps a picture.

Y/N: "Let's go. This place is so boring, I didn't get much training done."

Jasper: "You did great."

You both start walking away while a blizzard started to form, leaving the Pearl and the two kids alone.

-

After a while, you both stop walking. You were still confused about what Jasper said to the group.

Y/N: "Hey, Babe. Who were you calling Rose Quartz? I didn't see her with the group... Wait... was it that boy that took our picture? Didn't realize that shape-shifting could go to that extreme."

Jasper: "You talk too much when you're high."

Y/N: "Yeah... My bad. So where are we going now?"

Jasper: "You'll see when we get there. Don't worry."

Y/N: "Aight, then..."

To be continued..