Talking Through The Turbulence

Prince's POV

The past couple months were great. We finished most of the scenes for the movie all that's left are the Apollonia 6 scenes in First Avenue and the Lake Minnetonka scene. Everyone is excited about our break from filming and ready to hit the road. With packed bags, we sit at the airport ready to see new sights.

Looking around at everyone I can't help but smile. Another trip, another tour, another experience. I look across the way and see that Genevieve is scribbling away in her notebook. I walk over and take the seat beside her.

"What're you writing?"

"I'm trying to draw a bird from memory. What do you think?" She tilts the notebook my way and I can't help but laugh.

"I think it looks like a beaver."

"No it doesn't! It's duck!"

"Why does it have teeth?"

"It's beak is open!" I look at the picture again turning it this way and that.

"Nope. That's definitely a beaver."

"Okay so, I'm not the best artist but I tried."

"Why're you drawing birds anyway?"

"It's something Baba had me do whenever we had to travel by plane. Keeps me focused."

"You don't like planes?"

"If I was supposed to be in the air God would've made me a bird."

"So if you could have superpowers you wouldn't want to fly?"

"I'd rather be able to teleport."

"That's a good one."

"We will now begin boarding for flight 51A to Detroit. Please have your boarding pass out and remain seated until your section is called. Now boarding all first-class passengers for Flight 51A to Detroit."

Without words we all stand up, grabbing our various bags and head to the line forming at the gate. I had the flight attendant my boarding pass. She quickly examines it then hands it back to me with a smile. I find my seat truck my carry on into the overhead compartment. I chuckle watching Miko help Genevieve with hers. She thanks him and takes her seat returning her focus to her notebook. A stranger walks passed looking at his ticket trying to find his seat. I peer over his arm and smile as an idea forms.

"Hey, mister. I'll trade you for this aisle seat." He looks over at my seat then at the seat beside Genevieve and agrees. I quickly move from the seat and into the aisle before tapping Genevieve. I cross in front of her before sitting down at the window. She immediately reaches for my hand and squeezes it.

"You'll be okay, Genny."

"Taking off and landing are the worst part. I should calm down a little in the air."

"Hello, this is your captain speaking." A man begins to speak over the intercom. Her hand tenses in mine as she realizes it's time to take off. She stares in fear as the flight attendants begin their rehearsed lines. Her hand trembles in mine. With my other hand I rub her knuckles as I turn a face her in my seat.

"What're you working on now? Not another beaver I hope."

"Just a dress I want to modify." She moves the notebook closer and points with other hand. "It's shorter than I want it to be but I found this really nice fabric at the store that I could use to extend it."

"What color is it?"

"Orange. I was inspired by these dresses The Supremes wore. They were coral mermaid dresses with feathers. I think I'm gonna try out that shape. Really take it in at the knee and drape the extra fabric from there."

"How will you get it to move like theirs?"

"I'll probably pad it with tulle. Give it some volume and structure."

"Where are you going to wear it?"

"I want to compete in a pageant next year.  Miss Regency International. One of the directors found out I moved out here and begged me to compete."

"Have you figured everything else out?"

"For the most part. I've got most of my attire figured out. This pageant doesn't have a talent portion so I'll need to focus on the interview and all of my styling."

"Interview?"

"The judges sit you in a room and ask you about yourself and current events. I'll have to tailor my new black suit for that one."

"Okay, what else do you need?"

"I need to find a designer to make my evening gown."

"If this isn't your evening gown what is it?"

"It's my back up dress. I try to always have two in case my first idea doesn't pan out."

"I thought you made all your clothes. What do you need a designer for?"

"I don't make all of them. I only make the simple things. Most of them, I just alter them and make small adjustments."

"Well, what do you want the gown to look like?" Without turning my head, I peek out the window. She didn't even notice we're already in the air.

"Same silhouette but with a bit of excitement." She flips to another page where her sketch is. "A lot of girls wear white and pink to seem feminine and cute but I try to wear less-typical colors. The pageant is in the spring so I wanted to choose something soft but I'm not sure what else I want to add."  I examine the dress she sketched and take the pencil from her hand.

"What if you make the bottom something more dramatic?" I draw a series of flowers along the bottom of the dress. She turns the notebook around and stares at it.

"What would it be made of?"

"Something with some movement." We take turns sketching different shapes and picking colors for the dress but none of them seem to satisfy her. She closes her eyes often to visualize the dress but it always seems to be missing something.

"This is my least favorite part. I wish I had someone to help me coordinate, plan, and make all my outfits."

"If you'd like, I can ask my designers. They mostly do men's clothes but I'm sure someone will be able to help."

"I couldn't ask you to do that."

"You didn't. I offered." She taps her pencil lightly in stubborn frustration.

"You never quit do you?"

"I just want to help."

"I appreciate it. I guess I'm just not used to having help."