The Voices

Genevieve's POV

After our moment on the balcony, Prince and I had breakfast for dinner and figured out my next steps. Then the next day, I took out all the clothes I would need for the next two and half weeks and he took me shopping for anything else I thought I might need. Everything is ready. I've done all the preparing I can do. Now I must wait.

Alone in the living room, I sit singing softly to myself. I've been down here for an hour while Prince is on a call. Just singing and keeping my mind busy. I brought my instruments over today, everything but my harp because it doesn't fit in my car. I want him to watch over them while I'm gone. I run my hands over each case as they sit in front of me. My steel pans are my pride and joy, reminding me of the tropical sounds of the islands.I brought back my djembe from New York to show him, it's a symbol of my time spent in Africa.  My guitar was next. I had outgrown my smaller guitar and purchased this with the money I got every week from working at the restaurant in its first year. I've had my violin and my flute since my second year living in America. They were the first new instruments I learned. My harp was a passion project. I saved up all my money for about two years. I have up the nail salon and my favorite hot dog stand just to afford my harp, a harp book, and a few months of lessons. It's probably the instrument I'm the least comfortable with having only been playing for 3 or 4 years. I fell in love with it after going to see an orchestra when I was 20. It sang beautiful songs the whole night and I knew I had to learn.

"Is this all of them?" Prince smiles coming to sit beside me on the floor.

"Everything but my harp. I didn't feel like dragging it out and trying to fit it in my car." He looks at all my instruments and I'm a little embarrassed. My cases are old and worn but that's only because they've traveled farther than I ever could've imagine.

"The muses have favored you." He smiles looking at me for a moment.

"The muses? Like Greek or Roman mythology?"

"Yea, you familiar?"

"A little. Remind me." I settle in ready to listen.

"The muses were the nine goddesses of the arts. They inspired musicians, poets, dancers, and singers. Helping them to create fine works. Each one has their own focus but some of them overlapped." I smile watching him speak absorbing every word. It's cute how he has to occupy his hands while he speaks.

"Which one has inspired you the most?"

"Probably Euterpe, the goddess of music."

"What about me?"

"Terpsichore, the goddess of dance and chorus." His smile is soft as the words drip from his mouth. "Chorus meaning a group of people in a play who sing, dance, and speak in unison."

"Why her?"

"Well dance is obvious but the synchronicity of your talents reminds me of a Greek chorus."

"I can see that."

"You ready to catch your flight tomorrow?"

"As ready as I can be." Nervously I look at my nails, spotting several chips after playing my guitar earlier.

"Going to the salon when you get there."

"Probably, you can just put the money in my bag." He rolls his eyes. "Don't get mad at me. You're the one who lost the bet!"I laugh standing up and walking to the kitchen.

"It was a stupid bet." He says following me.

"It's only stupid because you lost."

"I'm gonna miss that smart ass mouth." He smirks. "It's your last night. Anything you want to do?" I shake my head.