Pleasant Realities

Genevieve's POV

I gasp, my body shooting up out of the blankets with enough force to propel me off the couch. Another dream. Another visit. It's getting worse. I didn't sleep much last night. Between Mamakoko's visits I have also been having nightmares. I woke up every hour until I finally just sat and read a book in the corner of the room. Poor Prince wakes up every time I do. He says it's not because I'm interrupting him but because he wants to be available to me.

"Mama, did you fall off the couch?"

"Yea." I sigh, getting cup off the ground.

"Here's what's gonna happen and I don't want any lip. You're going back to the hotel."

"But!" I try before he stops me.

"Aht! I don't wanna hear it. You're going back to the hotel. I went to the pharmacy while you were sleeping and got you some things." He hands me a bag and keeps talking. "You are going to go in that room, make a cup of tea, watch some tv, order some food, and take one of those pills. It's allergy medicine but it'll put you to sleep."

"What about Take Me With U? What about the tambourine? What about the visual?"

"The band will manage without you on stage but I can't manage without you off stage. I need you calm and well rested. Okay?" He reaches into his pocket pulling out his wallet. "What do you think you'll get for dinner?" He asks again without looking up. I shrug not feeling awake enough to make a decision.

"Here. Get whatever you want and get me something that I can reheat when I get back." I nod taking the small was of cash out of his hands. "Do you need anything else?" He says pulling me close. I shake my head before resting it on his chest. I breathe in his scent reveling in the lavender and musk.

"Can I have this?"

"Have what?"

"Your shirt. It smells good."

"Only if you promise to wear it."

"I promise." He lets me go and takes his t-shirt off, putting it in the bag with the other things.

"Hey. I love you and we're going to figure this out. Now go get some rest."

"Okay. Should I call a cab?"

"Ronnie is here. He's going to take you back and keep you company."

"Why is he here this time?"

"He has a special contract when I tour. I pay him a set rate to show up for a third of the tour dates anything beyond that I pay him double. He uses this time to travel with his wife and ride his motorcycle."

"How long does it take him to travel?"

"He's never too far. He plans something to do close to all the tour dates. There's only been a few times I've had to fly him in and I just put him on a jet." I nod, accepting their strange relationship. The craziest part is Ronnie is only a few years older than Prince but you'd never know standing next to them.

Prince holds me close, kissing me sweetly before turning me towards the exit.

"You won't walk me to the car?" I say softly holding his shirt close.

"You gonna let my shirt go so I can hold your hand?" He smirks. I  tuck the shirt in the bag just as he reaches a hand out to me. I hold it and feel that familiar warmth. He takes a step but I don't move lightly pulling on his arm. He turns back to me and I take a moment to put my head on his shoulder. Alone, together in this hallway with my face on his bare skin, I feel at peace for the first time in days. If we were lying down I'd fall asleep just like this, beside each other my head just tilted and my hand in his.

Feeling soothed, we both begin to walk. Ronnie smiles standing just outside the door under an umbrella.

"It's a wet one out here Miss Genevieve. They wouldn't let me pull the car up." He shrugs. Prince holds out his hand for the umbrella. Ronnie smiles approvingly, hands it to him as he puts on the hood of his black jacket, and jogs away.

He holds the umbrella over my head and begins walking. It's only a few steps before I realize he isn't benign covered. I stop in my tracks turning to look at him.

"What's wrong?" He asks softly. I take the umbrella from him closing it and letting my hand fall to my side. He smirks at me as we both get soaking wet. Normally, I would hate this feeling but standing here with him in this parking lot in the quiet of night and the symphonic putter patter of rain everything feels alright. We  gaze at each other for a long while. His eyes glow under the fluorescent street light as he looks down at me. I'm sure with my puffy red eyes and my poofy wet hair I look like a New York City sewer rat but when he looks at me I can tell all he sees is the beautiful woman he loves. His hand finds my face. I chuckle a little feeling his wet palm on my equally as wet face. He smirks at me before leaning in. I kiss him back. We stand here in our own world saying everything and nothing. I throw my arms around his neck. His arms pull me closer holding me firmly around my waist.

I wish I could exist in this moment forever. Who needs sleep when in the presence of someone who replenishes my spirit? Who needs dreams when this love exists in the waking world? Who needs a world when I have him?

His hand finds mine again and we walk leisurely through the parking lot until we find Ronnie's SUV.

"You better not be awake when I get back."

"And if I am?"

"Then I'll put you to sleep." He smirks, kissing me again.

"Go inside and get dry!" I say swatting at him getting distracted as my hand touches his muscular chest.

"You first." He smirks open the car door.