Slipping

Prince's POV

"What're you doing all the way over there?" She whines rolling over to look at me. I woke up early this morning. I've been thinking about her, about us, about how I feel, about how she makes me feel. I've also been thinking about what she told me not too long ago. The whole finding my new drive thing. I hate to admit that I'm still stuck. That I'm still struggling with music. I have been working in music but it's all missing something. Something important.

Songs have been swarming my mind since I opened my eyes but they all sound off. I moved to the chair in corner so I wouldn't disturb her with my humming and tapping. That was over an hour ago and I was awake more than an hour before that.

"I've just been working on some things. I didn't want to wake you."

"Figure any of it out?" I shake my head. "How long have you been awake?"

"Three hours, maybe more." She tilts her head a little looking at the clock on the nightstand.

"Prince, it isn't even 8."

"I know. I've just got a lot on my mind."

"Ya got ten seconds ta get back in dis bed." I open my mouth to protest, but she raises her eyebrows, daring me to see what happens. I stand from the seat and she opens her arms. I lay in them, my head on her chest. She wraps her arms around me, resting one hand in the center of my back and the other on the back of my head. I sigh feeling somewhat calmer. "Don't think, just be, even if it's just for a little while." With only her fingers she rubs my back, the gentle rhythm giving me something new to focus on. With her other hand she massages my head, lulling me into a more peaceful state. I breathe deeply taking in the scent and feel of her skin. It's so peaceful here, wrapped in her arms. We lay here a while, taking in the silence, enjoying the warmth of our closeness. For a long while everything is silent in my mind until a single thought zips by.

"Genevieve?" She looks down at me with soft gaze. "I think I want to try that thing you said."

"Which one?"

"Where I go play music outside in nature."

"Do you want to go alone?"

"No. I want you to come with me."

"Okay."

"When's the best time to go?"

"I'd say an hour or so before sunset. The colors can be very inspiring." I nod softly not having much else to say. "Are you okay, Prince?"

"I've just missed you is all. Things always seem to go wrong when you leave." Homes been rough without her. The band is fighting right now. Miko's mad at me because I cut his solo but it just wasn't a good fit. Jerome is being a diva and him and Andre haven't been getting along. Last rehearsal Jerome showed up to ask me something and had to break them up. I was glad to

"Would you rather I have stayed?"

"No. I'm happy you're out here. You're making your dreams come true. I'd never ask you to give this up."

"I won't be gone too long next time." She's quiet for a long while as she holds me."Honestly, I wish you could stay."

"Really?"

"This job is the hardest thing I've ever done. It'd be nice if I could leave in the morning knowing I'd get to see you that night."

"Did something happen?" I ask sitting up feeling the need to look at her.

"N-no. I've just been stuck in my head and I can feel myself slipping."

"What do you mean slipping?" She sighs again before adjusting her position. She sits up, leaning her back against the headboard.

"Something did happen the day I left..." She hesitates looking down at her legs. "After you told me to meet you downstairs, I just... I-I-I lost it. I couldn't shake these thoughts they just kept telling me I wouldn't make it and I wasn't good enough. I got dizzy, my heart felt like it was going to explode, my lungs were burning, I couldn't breathe. I walked into one of the walls. I leaned on it hoping I could catch my breath, but... I couldn't. I ended up on the floor. The thoughts got so loud. It felt like someone was screaming at me from inside my head. Next thing I knew Ronnie was tapping me."

"Genevieve, why didn't you tell me?"

"I wa- I was scared if I told you you'd tell me I shouldn't come."

"Did it get better once you got here?"

"It did for a little but it all came back a few days after I got here."

"Did it happen again?" She nods a little afraid to look up from her lap. I wish she would've told me. I would've done something. I would've helped however she needed. I would've come earlier. I would've called more. I would've been there for her. "Do you want me to stay?"

"I can't ask you to do that. What about the band?"

"I'm not worried about them right now. I'm worried about you. Do you want me to stay?" She looks up from her lap, tears swimming in her eyes. She nods again and it comes off unsure. I pull her into my arms as she begins to cry, her tears soaking my shirt. "I'll stay as long as you need me to, baby. I'll be wherever you need me to be."