Resistance

Prince's POV

"I called this meeting to talk about our upcoming tour and the expectations management and I have."

"You called us over here in the snow for this? You could've just called." Miko asks slouching in his chair.

"This tour is going to be big, 99 performances in six months. We leave this time next year and it will be split into two parts. Everyone that's going will have until the movie premiere to sign their contracts."

"What do you mean everyone that's going?"

"A lot of people have worked on this album but everyone will not be going on tour." A few gasps and sighs fill the room. I take a moment to let them gather their thoughts. "Some people wanted different opportunities but we will be moving forward without them. Everyone in this room is going on tour."

"Wait but, what about G?" Andre asks looking around the room.

"She's got a migraine and needed to lay down. I'm gonna bring her up to speed later. Anyway, Apollonia 6 and Sheila E are our opening acts. They really want to bring the movie to life on stage. They've been focus grouping the album and they anticipate we'll be asked for encores. Be prepared. If everything they're saying is true this could be huge for us. I have CDs for everyone to take home and listen to. Rehearsals won't start until after the premiere but I want to make sure everyone has time to sit with the music and get used to the flow of the show. This CD has 30 songs on it. Some of them are just for interludes and helping us get through the show. Any questions?"

"The Time ain't coming?"

"No." The looks in the room tell me my answer seems cold but, with Morris dating Mayte and Jerome acting funny these past few months we decided it was best to leave them at home.

I scan the room for any signs of confusion but, everyone seems in agreement.

"Alright, that's all I have. Remember to sign your contracts. I'll see y'all during studio time." Everyone gets out of their seats, throwing on their coats and scarves to brave the raging winter outside. I hand everyone a CD as they leave but am left holding three. I turn around and see Andre still sitting at the table. "What's up?"

"I'm coming with you to talk to G. I know she's upstairs and I know that's where you're headed." I raise my hands in defeat and we make our way to the residential side of my home. "You know she's gonna throw a fit, right?"

"I know but, it wasn't up to me. I hope she's not too mad." I knock on the door to her room and I chuckle hearing her groan.

"Come in!" I open the door and peek my head in. "Andre's here too. Is that cool?" She nods rolling on her side propping herself up on her elbow. We both walk in and take a seat. I sit at her vanity while Andre takes the bench at her sewing station.

"Hello, Andre. It's good to see you."

"It's good to see you too. How're you feeling?"

"Better. How was the meeting?" I
Look over at Andre who gives me a reassuring nod before I start

"It went good but, there's something I wanted to talk to you about." Her face turns to one of concern and I panic. I look over at Andre again for another push.

"Go ahead, man."

"They don't want you to dance for the whole show."

"What do you mean?"

"For the songs on the album, they want it to mirror the movie. So, they only want you to dance during the other songs."

"What about all of my choreography?"

"We will still use it and you'll still get paid you just won't be performing any of the purple Rain songs."

"It took me weeks to perfect those dances!"

"I know but..."

"I'm not going." She interrupts rolling to face the wall.

"Genevieve you have to go. Don't be like this."

"I don have to do a bloody ting! Me contract is unsigned and it will remain dat way unless I can dance for de whole show." Her accent thickens telling me she's pissed. I need her to come with me. I know this isn't how she thought it would be but, I didn't think she'd be this upset.

"I already told them that you put together a great show. They loved the demo we sent. They just don't think it's the best thing for the promotion of the movie."

"I'm going to back to bed. It was nice seeing you, Andre."

"Nice seeing you too, G." He taps my shoulder and heads out. I sigh looking at her in the bed. Standing, I walk over to her, taking a seat on the bed beside her. I gently rub her shoulder but, she jerks away from me.

"Don't touch me."

"Genevieve, mama, you don't have to do this. I know you worked hard on these steps but, there's nothing we can do."

"Steps?! This is more than some shuffling across the stage! This is my dream, my livelihood, my life! I'm going to talk to them."

"Talk to who?"

"Whoever said no."

"Genevieve are you sure?."

"Give me his name."

"Bob Cavallo. You've met him. He was one of the producers for the movie."

"Where is he?"

"Probably back in Los Angeles."

"Take me." She says without another thought.

"Genevieve, I really don't think this a good idea."

"Then I'll go alone."

"Have you ever even been to LA?"

"No but me figure it out." I sigh and rub my temples. 

"If we're going to LA we aren't only going for one day. You'll meet with him but I'm gonna handle some business while I'm out there and I don't want any trouble from you."

"Deal. When do you want to leave?"

"Let me make some calls."