On the Road

Prince's POV

It's early in the morning and we're waiting in some sketchy parking lot for the tour bus. Our trial run in Cincinnati is in two days and we've got 20 hours of traveling to do. Genevieve, of course, is with me. Ronnie drove so we wouldn't have to pay to park anywhere for the next four days. I offered to give everyone else a ride but they  didn't want to get up this early.

Genevieve really knows how to travel. She spent the last few days buying and making snacks for the trip. She's packed her notebook, a book to read, crosswords, word scrambles, and a few other things in case she gets bored. She even got cases of water. The one thing she did that i think is crazy is stay up all night. She says it's so she'll sleep through most of the ride but it's starting to get to her. She used to running on no sleep but usually she's active through it. We've been sitting in the car for about 15 minutes and I can see her struggling to stay awake.

"I'm sure if you close your eyes for little bit you'll still sleep on the bus."

"That's not what I'm worried about. If I close my eyes now I won't make it on the bus." It's October and she's bundled up like it's January. She hates being cold but the warmth of her coat and the heat in the car is lulling her to sleep. "Help me stay awake."

"Okay, name every food you can think of that starts with the letter B."

"Noooooooo," she whines putting her head in my lap. "Don't make me think. I'm too tired to think."

"Why don't you step outside for a little? That cold air on your face will wake you up." Her face fill with disgust as she sits up and looks out the window.

"Do you want me to go with you?" She nods sighing softly. We unlock the doors and make our way over to the nearest curb.

"Why isn't the bus here yet?" She groans leaning back in her gloved hands.

"It's not going to be here until 5."

"What time is it now?"

"4:30."

"Why did we come so early?"

"Because I wanted to make sure everyone came to the right place."

"They could've just met us at your house!"

"No one wanted to wake up that early remember?"

"Ughh!" She groans.

"Come here, mama." She scoots closer to me, resting her head on my shoulder. "They'll be here soon."

"How do you know?"

"I told them the buss was leaving at 4:45." Like clockwork, a few cars pull into the lot and park near Ronnie. Andre gets out of his car and runs over to us. He shakes my hand and offers Genevieve a wave.

"Why're y'all out here?"

"She's trying not to fall asleep. Thought the cold would help."

"Why does she look miserable?"

"The island princess hates the cold."

"Don't be an ass." She says pulling away from me. "You can stay out here and freeze. I'm getting back in the car." She gets up and waddles away, her gigantic coat shortening her steps.

"Ten bucks says she's sleep by the time the bus gets here." Andre chuckles as we watch her get back into the car.

"I know my girl. She's gonna fight this and pass out the second her foot touches the step."

"Feeling pretty confident calling her that, huh?" He grunts taking a seat beside me.

"Yea, it feels good to know she's mine."

"You told her you love her yet?"my chest swells as I take a deep breath and shake my head. "Really? What're you waiting for?"

"I don't know, man. I just don't want to rush it."  We've been together for about four months. We've had a few fights but overall things are good. I'm just trying to do right by her.

"You loved her before you even started dating! Now you're worried about rushing?"

"I don't want to scare her away. Things are good right now and if I play my cards right they'll stay that way."

"If y'all aren't talking marriage by this time next year I'm gonna propose for you."

"What part of taking it slow are you missing? I know I love her and I know she's the girl I'm gonna marry but I always rush these things. I think I know what to do or say and then I end up with women like Mayte and Jewel."

"She's not like them. You said it yourself."

"All the more reason for me to do this differently. If I'm gonna be her husband, I've got some growing up to do and I can't rush that." I let out another sigh. Genevieve is changing me. I feel it everyday. I can feel myself becoming a different person, a better person. I've been spiteful and rude and careless but I can't be that way with her. She deserves kindness and compassion. I gotta turn my life around.

The last two cars show up in the parking lot. Wendy and Lisa picked up Gale and Miko picked up Dez, Bobby and Dr. Fink. It's 4:52 and everyone's here.

"Yo, where's the bus?" Miko yells across the parking lot as he walks over to us.

"It'll be here soon. I knew y'all would be late so I made y'all come early."

"We wouldn't have been late if we weren't following Miko!" Lisa complains joining the huddle with the rest of the girls. Gayle waves a little as she enters. She's never been much of a talker but she great with her keyboard.

I look around and smile at everyone. I'm proud of the band I've put together. Keyboard players with varying skill sets, guitar players with varying skill sets, the greatest drummer, great background singers, and a dancer that sings and plays too. This tour is going to be amazing and I can't wait to start.

Andre taps my shoulder, grabbing my attention. I look at him and follow his gaze to the huge bud headed our way. We stand up with the rest of the band and everyone cheers. This is our first tour and this is the bus that's gonna get us through it.

The bud stops and we watch as the driver gets off and unlocks the undercarriage. We all go back to out cars and begin pulling out our luggage. Ronnie gets mine and Genevieve's while I focus on grabbing the cases of water. I watch as Genevieve grabs the snack bags before we both head over to the bus.

We climb on the bus and I can't help but grin as I take in the sights. Beds and couches and chairs and seats and tables. It's perfect. We sit everything on two tables and she collapses into the first empty bed she sees.

"What's all this?" Wendy asks looking through the bags.

"I brought enough snacks and water for the trip up and back. Don't eat them all today and please give the bus driver the bag I made specifically for him."

"What'd you get?" Miko asks rummaging through the bag noisily.

""Everything is labeled and for the love of God don't even think about waking me up unless we're stopping for food or the bus is on fire."  She closes the curtain in front of her bed and we all sit in silence for a moment. The bus driver makes a quick announcement after Wendy hands him his bag and just like that we were on our way.