Comfort

Prince's POV

We sit in silence alone in the car. I keep my arm around her for comfort and in case she runs again. After several minutes Ronnie walks back out.

"The coast is clear."

"Is it bad? Did they take anything?"

"Nothing appears to be missing. A few of your trophies were smashed. Your dress form was knocked over and all your instruments are in the bath tub. Some of your decor and furniture was vandalized. Lots of cuts and black markings. They also left you a note on the mirror. He hands her the paper but she's too scared to take it. I take it from him and unfold it. Reading it carefully, I try not to react to the gruesome words. I immediately fold it and hand it back to Ronnie. She can't read this. It'll ruin her.

"Ronnie she's gonna stay with me. When we get home call the police. Tell them everything and give them the note."

"Got it boss."

"Genevieve, give me your key. I'm gonna lock the door and give the key to the police when they come okay?" She digs in her purse and removes her apartment key from the key ring. She puts it in my hand and walks back to the car with Ronnie.

Once at home Ronnie calls the police in the kitchen. I lead Genevieve upstairs and into my room.

"You can relax in here. Ronnie will get us when the police arrive." Silently she walks into my closet, changes into one of my old band shirts and climbs into bed.

"I just don't get why these things happen to me." A sigh leaves her lips as she curls up on her side. "My homes have been broken into many times since moving to America. It's scarier when you live alone."

"I won't let anyone hurt you. I promise."

"I just want to wash my hair and go to bed. I'm tired of this flat hair." She release her hair from the ponytail and allows the hair to flow freely behind her. I lay beside her and smile at the several inches of hair taking up the pillow.

"You know you don't have to straighten it. You could perform in your afro."

"You wouldn't mind if I wore it that way?"

"No, why would it bother me?"

"I've seen your shows. You're dancers usually do a lot of hair flipping."

"To be fair, Mayte wasn't offering a lot in the dance department." I chuckle.

"So she resorted to hair flips?"

"I never really knew what was going on in her head. She was my dancer and I was her music." I pause for a moment and look at her. I open my mouth to speak but the phone rings. I reach over and pick up the phone behind me. The call is over soon and I stand from the bed. "Cops are here."

She stands and hurriedly throws on her sweats before following me out the door. Ronnie brought them into the living room and told them everything but they still want to see her.

"Hello, ma'am. I'm Officer Michaels and this is Officer Jones. Ronaldo have us all the details but we'd still like to ask you a few questions." She nods and takes a seat on the couch. I watch as she crosses her legs at the ankles and slowly tucks her legs beneath her. Her hands fall into her lap and her back arches just slightly. Even in her sweat pants and an old shirt with her hair slightly disheveled she puts her near foot forward. "How long were you gone?"

"Two weeks."

"Do you remember telling anyone you were leaving?"