4 U

Prince's POV

Dinner comes and goes but we stay sitting in the restaurant a while just chatting with her family. Genevieve's mother has stopped interacting with us and is currently washing the dishes in the large kitchen. Every now and then she sticks her head out to give a disapproving look or smart remark but Anthony doesn't seem to care. He keeps us engaged in conversation and offers me reassurance. He tells me he'll work on her. All I have to do is focus on Genevieve.

"I read in one of Florence's magazines you play quite a few instruments. That true?"

"It is!" I smile bringing my focus back to him. "My favorites are guitar and piano but I play a lot of percussion instruments."

"Prince played all the instruments in his first album." Genevieve smiles.

"Wait, how'd you know that?" I turn to her in shock.

"I watched the interview when you talked about it."

"I was 19 years old in that interview. That was almost 7 years ago. How do you remember that?" I hate that interview. I was trying to be mysterious but I came off crazy in the head.

"You had big hair and shiny pants on."

"Your copy of that album is still upstairs in your room." Anthony smiles looking over at Genny.

"You really have my first album?"

"It was Baba's but I loved it so much he gave it to me. I was using it to help me with guitar. I wasn't allowed to listen to all of the songs but the few I could I enjoyed very much. I'll be honest it never occurred to me that was you." Her voice is soft as she tells me her truth. She ticks a hair behind her ear as she looks at me. "Your image is changed a lot since then."

"What were you learning how to play?"

"She can show you better than she can tell you. Let me get my guitar." Anthony stands up and disappears up some stairs. The you her children flock to the other side of the room where I notice a small stage I didn't see when we came in. Genevieve smiles softly and gets up taking her seat on the stage. I follow her, sitting on the edge and gazing up at her.

"You really didn't know it was me?"

"I had only been allowed to listen to few songs and the few I did don't sound much like what you're making now."

"Yea, that's part of growing up I guess. I wrote all those songs when I was maybe 16 or 17?"

"I was 17 when Baba brought it home. He listened to it a lot before Mummy told him to only listen to certain songs I'm the house. He took it with him everywhere so his favorite song must not have been very appropriate." She giggles a little. "I became obsessed with some of the guitar on the album. I had never heard anything like it before and at the time I had been focusing on my other instruments and talents. I spent months playing the same parts over and over again until my fingers were fast enough to play with the recording." She looks at me with tender eyes. Who would've known that our lives would be intertwined this way.

The lights on the stage grow brighter. I look up and then look out and see Anthony returning with a guitar in his hand. He gives it to her and sits beside the rest of his children. I move from my spot on the stage so Genny is the main focus. She plays a few notes and takes a deep breath before playing.

The sound transports me back in time as my old music fills my ears. I can almost see that heart broken, poofy haired, sex craved teenager when I close my eyes. He fades away when Genevieve starts to singing. She chooses a lower key, something a little more suited to the depth of her voice. I can't help but sit with my mouth open as my song pours out of someone lose mouth, especially since it's hers. My mentors told me there's nothing like hearing people sing your music back to you and I never believed them. There's nothing fun about a bunch of drunk people screaming wrong notes while you try your best to focus on the show but this is different. Here is someone who clearer resonated with my music. It spoke to her in some way and I can hear it in her voice. Maybe that's what was missing in my earlier years. My music was just that my music. The places I performed weren't used to me or my sound or my story. These new albums are hitting people at home as much as the media who want you to believe otherwise. Maybe that's why these last few shows have felt so good. Maybe this is what all the ones before were missing.

The songs ends and we all applaud her. She smiles giving her dad his guitar back and having a seat beside me.

"It felt good to hear you sing and play again." Anthony smiles before picking up Jacklynn. "It's getting late, children. Tell your sister and her boyfriend goodnight."

"Goodnight Gen Gen." The twins say running over to her and giving her a tight hug.

"Thanks for stopping by." They smile up at me, waving as they walk away.

"Why do you have to go?" Jack Jack asks softly rubbing her eyes and fighting her sleep.

"I have work to do, Jack Jack."

"Will you come back tomorrow?"

"Of course and I'll bring you your favorite hot chocolate when I come." Genevieve kisses her baby sister on the nose. She wraps her arms around Genevieve and gives her a kiss on the cheek.

"Goodnight, Gen Gen."

"Goodnight, Jack Jack. I love you."

"I love you too."

Anthony is next to say goodbye. He pats my shoulder and gives Genevieve a quick kiss on the head as he leads us to the door.

"You two get back safe. I'll be watching tonight."

"Goodbye, Baba. Hug Mummy for me."

"I will." We step outside and she turns to watch him through the glass. Anthony walks away checking the doors and turning off the lights as he leaves.