Meeting Madonna

Genevieve's

The car picks me up from the airport and takes me straight to my hotel. I've got about an hour before it returns and it's time to meet her for an early dinner. I would've liked to go get my nails done before I went out, but plain nails it is. I shower quickly and throw on the simple cocktail dress I picked out for this specific occasion. I slide into a pair of heels and instantly feel more at home. With fifteen minutes to spare I grab my purse and head down to the car.

The restaurant isn't far and seem very laid back but elegant. I step out and walk into the building feeling a little unsure. The host returns to the podium at the door and offers me a smile.

"Do you have a reservation?"

"You'll have to excuse me. I am here to meet someone, but I wasn't told who's name I should give." An arm hooks mine from behind pulling me a little to the right.

"She's with me." The host hurries to move out of the way and let us in. I look over my shoulder and see a gorgeous woman with blonde hair staring back at me. The host leads us back to a private area near a large window and bows before leaving. When she finally releases my arm, I take a look at her. She shorter than I thought she would be. Standing maybe an inch taller than me in flat shoes. She looks wild. Like she's been partying for three days. Her hair is kind of everywhere, her clothes fit differently, and her jewelry doesn't all match but the perfection of her makeup tells me this is all intentional. She makes it work. Prince told me she can be a bit of a wild card and to be prepared for anything. I smile at her not wanting to sit until she does. She wraps her arms around me and hugs me like we're old friends.

"Hi, Girly Pop. Let's chat." I take a seat in the booth with her and gaze over the menu. "I'm so excited you're here. When I saw Purple Rain and saw the way those girls danced I just knew you'd be perfect for my music video. I'm just glad you were able to make it in such short notice!"

"I'm very glad to be here and it's very nice to meet you."

"You don't need to be so formal with me, Genevieve. Today we're gonna have some fun." A waiter comes by with two large wine glasses with straws. "Oh, thank you Antonio!" She smiles picking a glass and taking a sip. "It's for you, Girly Pop. It's a sangria. Try it! It's good." I take the glass in my hand and am surprised by the weight. This could easily be half a bottle of wine. I smell it in an effort to learn more about the drinks content but all I can smell is fruit and sweetness. "Do you not drink?"

"I do. I just wanted to know what was in it."

"Umm, I think it's red wine, vodka, grenadine, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, oranges, lemons and limes, and a little club soda for some fizz." I nod taking note of all the flavors involved and close my eyes to take a sip. It's good. It's sweet. Worst of all I don't taste much of the alcohol. "So, tell me. How'd you end up working on Purple Rain?"

"I was working under a choreographer earlier in filming. We had some issues in the way I was being treated so, I quit. He eventually got fired and Mayte got fired and they needed to take the performances in a new direction. Prince put in a good word for me and they offered me the job as head choreographer."

"Ah, Prince. He sure is something. Just between us girls, are the rumors true?"

"What rumors?"

"That you two are dating! I've seen some pictures of the two of you and he seems pretty taken by you. I just have to know if he's made his move."

"He did at the premiere. We've been dating for 3 months now." She holds her heart and sighs.

"That's so wonderful. I'm glad he's not with that awful woman anymore."

"You mean Mayte?"

"Yea, she can be a real drag. Prince and I went out for a night because the record company thought it would be good for our images. She called me the next day telling me if I ever saw him again she'd fly out here to fight me." I roll my eyes and take another sip of my drink. Looking down at my glass I realize it's half empty.

"I don't know why. She can't fight."

"You fought her."

"I wouldn't really call them fights."

"Them? More than one?"

"Yea, we got into it on set and then she attacked me a couple weeks ago when we were leaving a club."

"Oh my god! I told him she was crazy." We go on like this for a while laughing talking and drinking. We do eventually order food but, we spend the entire meaning getting to know each other. She tells me about her life, her goals, and her vision for the music video. I tell her about my upbringing, my dance experience, and my time doing pageants. By the the end of the meal I'm drunk and so is she. We had four glasses between the two of us and I'm honestly ready to lay down.

"Thank you for a lovely meal."

"Of course. I wouldn't have you dining alone! Why don't you go back to your hotel room and relax until tonight?"

"What's tonight?"

"We're going out, Girly Pop! I'll introduce you to some of my friends. It'll be a lot of fun."

"W-what time?"

"Party starts at 11. We'll come pick you up at 10:30." I agree and we walk back to the entrance of the restaurant. My driver has to help me into the car before taking me back to the hotel. I try my best not to make a scene as I drunkenly wander to my room. Inside I take off my shoes and flip down on the bed. Oh shit! I forgot to call Prince. I pick up the phone a dial frantically.

"Hello?" He answers warming my heart.

"Babe, I'm s-so sorry. I forgot I had to go to dinner with her and I-I didn't call."

"Are you drunk? It's like 4pm where you are!"

"Yes. She got me these giant...uhhh... sangrias at dinner and now she's wants to go to some party."

"Sounds like Madonna." He chuckles.

"I'm tired. I don't want to go to a party."

"Then don't go."

"But I don't want to be rude."

"Why don't you lay down for a little bit and see how you feel when you get up? If you still don't want to go in a couple hours then don't go."

"I guess."

"Call me when you get up and let me know what you decide."

"Alright. Talk to you then."

__________

Y'all think she should go to the party or stay her ass at home? Remember she has work in the morning.