Eye Promise

Prince's POV

Adjusting my collar and hair I make my way back to her room. It took my longer than I thought to shower and pick out something to wear. Luckily, Ronnie has already secured a last minute reservation at an amazing restaurant across town. I knock before entering, not wanting to startle her.

"Ready?" I ask walking in. She's standing in the middle of the room looking into her mirror. She doesn't look back at me or respond. She just keeps looking at her reflection. "You okay?"

"Yea, I just feel like I'm missing something."

"Let me see." I walk up behind her wrapping my arms around her body. Her hands rest delicately on mine as I peek around her hair to look at her in the mirror.

"Marilyn and Madonna wore bracelets and rings and necklaces. Do you think I need something?"

"I might be a little biased, mama, but I don't think you need anything else."

"Really?"

"Well, they were trying to make a point about diamonds and material things."

"I know, but I should still at least wear some earrings."

"I think your favorite studs would look just fine. I think the dress speaks for itself."

"Will you get them for me? They're in the jewelry box on the dresser." I walk to her jewelry box and open it pulling out her favorite earrings, a simple diamond stud on a solid gold post.  When I turn around she's sitting at her vanity removing her gloves. I put them in her hands and watch as she puts them in. Delicate fingers and manicured nails move carefully, putting each earring in. She puts her gloves back on, the fabric gliding up her arms as she turns to me as she stands.

"Your hair." I smile, pulling her close to me.

"W-what about it?" She asks nervously under my gaze.

"It's different. I like it."

"Oh, I just put product in it and curled it with my fingers. I wanted it to hang down but I did not want to straighten it."

"Whatever you did you look incredible." Her hair stops at the base of her neck full of coils and curls, full of volume standing high off her head. It's kind of an afro but with more distinct curls. She painted her face to look like Marilyn Monroe in her own way, the liner and the bold lashes, blushed cheeks, and soft eyelids. "Why do you always wait to put on your lipstick?"

"Because you always want to kiss me before we leave." She blushes. "Most of my lipsticks are pretty vibrant or dark. I don't want to leave any marks on you."

"Even if you did, I wouldn't mind." I smirk holding her. "Everyone knows you're my woman." Her arms find their place on my shoulders as we sway gently. She smiles before letting her lips touch mine. "I am such a lucky man." I whisper, smiling against her lips.

"If you think you're lucky, I must've hit the lottery." She smiles back.

"I'm no one special, mama." Her eyebrows knit together and her eyes look troubled.

"You're a prolific musician and songwriter and you're the best boyfriend in the world. I think that's pretty special."

"You think I'm the best boyfriend in the world?" I smirk resting my forehead on hers.

"Mhm." She hums softly against my cheek.

"I think that has more to do with you than it has to do with me."

"Why?"

"I've never had a woman make me feel the way you do. You encourage me and support me and believe in me in a way that makes me want to give you the world. I'd be whatever you want me to be because you're everything I need." She pulls away from me a little in shock. My last words struck a nerve. Her eyes begin to shine as the meaning hits her. I just hold her, looking into the amber sea of her irises.