Late Night Arrival

Prince's POV

I've spent the last several hours in bed with Genevieve keeping her calm and falling asleep here and there. She isn't feeling as bad as she was but I can tell something is still lingering inside her. It's probably just stress but whatever it is I want to be there for her. Maybe one day I'll ask her about her nervousness. It seems to take over her so abruptly. When she can get ahead of it she seems to do okay but when she can't it's like she falls apart. It's like sometimes it happens before she can even tell what's going on. She still doesn't know why she threw up at the rest stop. She doesn't know if it was the people or the sounds or if she just wasn't ready to eat. I hope in our time together I can help her find peace.

"Why are we staying at a hotel if the bus has beds?" She asks softly.

"The bus has beds so we can be comfortable when we travel long distances but sleeping on this bus every night too? That would suck."

"I get that." She rubs my chest softly before looking up at me again. "Have you played this venue before?"

"I don't think so but I heard it's nice. Big stage, lots of seats, good dressing rooms." I shrug. "It's all the same to me. The fans are what really make the venue." She nods in understanding and closes her eyes again. "How're you feeling, mama?"

"Stir crazy more than anything. I'll probably work out when we get to the hotel. Lose some energy before bed."

"How do you feel about the show? You know, with Costello and everything?"

"I've done all the preparing I could do, I'm in the best shape of my life, and I'm ready to give it my best shot."

"That's what I like to hear."

"Hey everyone come look!" Lisa squeals. We get out of our bunk and make our way to the window near her. A large dimly lit sign welcomes us to Cincinnati and the city's skyline comes into view. It's nearly midnight so the city is quiet. The lights are bright as we drive through downtown. The bus makes an awkward turn and we see the hotel. Cheers erupt around us and we all pile off the bus. We grab all of our bags and quietly walk into the hotel. They made special accommodations for us to be able to check in late. I grab keys and hand them out along with room assignments. We all take the elevator squished between all our belongings. Once we get to the third floor we exit and take a left. I feel a little sad as she walks off with Gayle to find their room. I want her with me like she always is. An arm wraps around my neck and pulls me close.

"One night won't kill you man."

"Man, shut up Andre."

"Make me."

"I will. Imma kick yo ass once we get in this room." He unlocks the door and we walk in. He picks the bed he always does and flops down on the white sheets. I walk deeper into the room and claim my bed, laying out across its softness.

"So much for kicking my ass." I throw a pillow across the room and it lands square on his cheek. He sits up immediately throwing it back but I dodge it. A gentle knock on our door shifts our focus. "Come on in, G."

"How'd you know it was me?" She chuckles walking in.

"You're the only person that ever knocks." I chuckle opening my arms to her. She sits beside me and I give her a tight hug. It's only been 20 minutes since I saw her but it was a long 20 minutes. "What brings you in here, mama?"

"I called the front desk to ask about the fitness center but it's closed. The second I hung up, Gayle turned off the light and went to bed!" Andre laughs turning to face us.

"She's just like that. Don't take it personally." He looks at me and all I can do is shake my head. She just really keeps to herself.

"Can I work out in here? I just want to do some planks and some push ups."

"It's cool. Do yo thang, G." She let's me go and lays on the floor on the far side of the room. Andre clicks on the tv and starts searching the channels, leaving me alone with my thoughts. I lean back on the fluffy hotel pillows and just let my eyes close. It feels good to be in a real bed. Commotion in the room tells me they're talking but I've tuned everything out. Everything sounds like distant vibrations as I allow myself this moment to relax.

Genevieve's POV

I crank out push ups while they watch tv. I usually work out to music but this isn't so bad. I'm sure the visual distraction will help with my planks.

"Do you work out everyday?" Andre asks looking down at me.

"Not really. I try do something physical everyday, just to stay active, but not full workouts. I probably work out three times a week. I just wanted to lose some energy before I went to bed." He nods then turns his focus back to the tv.

At this point I've lost count of my push-ups. My arms feel a little sore so I lie on the ground before starting my planks.

"Tour is a terrible time for fitness." Andre chuckles. "You're constantly tired, you're always eating fast food and at restaurants, last time I gained like 15 pounds."

"I'm going to lose my mind not cooking my meals. I love cooking." I sigh, getting into plank position and focusing on the tv.

"When we get back can you make that stew you were telling me about?"

"Which one?"

"The chicken one." I search our previous conversations for any mention of stew when it dawns on me.

"Oh, you want me to make stewed chicken. Yea, I should be able to make that when we get back."

"What does that exercise do?" I look over at him and see him looking at me confused.

"It kind of works out everything if you do it right. It holds a lot of your body in tension. Good for core, shoulders, and thighs." My body begins to shake so I stop, not wanting to be sore tomorrow.

Standing up, I see Prince laying still on his bed fully dressed. He hasn't even taken off his coat! I walk over and sit beside him. I kiss his cheek gently to see if he's awake. I smile a little when he doesn't move. My sleepy head. I unzip his coat, first, carefully pulling his arms out of his sleeves. Then, I focus on his shoes. I unlace them before pulling them off and setting them beside his bed. I remove his socks too and giggle as his feet rub together as soon as they're free. He hates sleeping with socks on so I'm sure that feels great. I return to the head of the bed and rock him gently in an effort to wake him up.

"Hm?" He mumbles groggily.

"Sit up." I command quietly but firm. Too loud and he'd wake up, too soft in tone and he'd go back to sleep. He's resistant at first but he eventually does. I unbutton his shirt and toss it to the floor. When his bare skin feels the cool air of the hotel room his entire body shows signs of relief. He puts his head on my shoulder and I move his coat away. I gently rub his back as I hold him for brief moment before helping him lay back down. I kiss his lips softly and watch as he rolls over fully accepting the sandman's sleep.

I pick up his shirt and fold it neatly before setting it in the chair in front of his bed. I place his coat on the back of the chair and quietly take my leave. I wave goodbye to Andre. He smiles and waves back.

"Night, G." He whispers.

"Goodnight."