Deep Sigh

Genevieve's POV

It's 6am and I'm still out. I don't want to be at the hotel right now. If he's gonna be an ass I'm gonna stay away. I've got a few hours to kill before I go to Alex's new dance company so I stop in the nearest diner for breakfast.

"Welcome in honey. What can I get you?" An older Black woman smiles from behind the counter.

"Water, for now please. Thank you." She places the glass on the table pushing it towards me with a concerned smile.

"Rough night?"

"Something like that?"

"Is it a boy?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Then you're gonna need more than water. How about a good cup off coffee? No charge." She smiles pulling out a bright white mug, pouring the coffee in slowly. She sets it on the table and I drink it black before deciding what it needs. I add a little sugar and the small container of cream and take a deep breath. The aroma transports me back to Paisley Park. I'm in the kitchen talking to Susan while she makes us coffee. Prince appears and kisses my cheek.

I sigh. I'm not angry enough to not go back but I am still angry. How could he accuse me of such a thing?

"What's wrong, sugar?"

"My boyfriend accused me of cheating with an old friend of mine."

"Well did you?" She leans in asking softly. I shake my head. "Then, why're you so upset?"

"He's constantly surround by women for work. They throw themselves at him but I know he would never cheat on me. Why does he think I would?"

"Sometimes men have trouble remembering which relationship their in. One of his exes probably cheated and he doesn't know how to trust anyone anymore."

"She did."

"You need to tell him the truth about your friend and about how his actions made you feel. Calmly. Don't get in his face a yell at him. He won't listen."

"All you do is yell at me!" The cook scoffs from the kitchen.

"Cuz you're hard headed and don't listen no way!" She says turning to him briefly. The door chimes as more people enter the diner. "Finish your coffee. Help yourself to more of you want. Wave if you need me." She gently touches my shoulder before heading over to greet the new customers.

I sip my coffee in silence as the morning regulars pour in. The sound around me fades in and out as my mind wanders. Cup after cup I sip coffee quietly in my own little world. Checking my watch, I see it's now 8:30. I shrug hailing another cab and heading to the dance company.

"Hello, do you have an appointment?"

"Um, no. I'm here to see Alex Jones." The woman looks down at a notebook flipping through the pages before looking back at me.

"Genevieve?"

"Yes." I nod.

"Right this way."

Prince's POV

She wasn't at breakfast this morning and she wasn't in her room. I hope she didn't just disappear. We walk into the venue and find our way to the dressing rooms. The girls report back quickly. Her stuff isn't in there. There's a knock on the door but it's not a gentle one. It isn't her. I walk over and open it shocked to see Alex on the other side.

"Can I talk to you?"

"I don't think we have anything to talk about."

"Considering that my friend and your girlfriend hasn't slept or eaten and she's been silent for the past few hours, I think we have a lot to talk about." I sigh and step into the hallway with him.

"Where'd y'all go last night?"

"I went home after I left here she told me eating after a show is y'all's thing. I didn't see her again until she showed up at my dance company around 9. You don't know where she was?"

"No. She stormed out and I didn't follow her." Alex chuckles.

"You're still new. You always follow her when she tries to storm off."

"Don't tell me how to treat my woman."

"Attitude like that she won't be your woman for long."

"What? You gonna take her from me?" He rolls his eyes before looking at me again.

"I don't even like women." I try keep my expression concealed.  Now I feel really dumb. "Genevieve is just a good friend from my teenage years. She tells everyone we're dance partners because of height or because of our chemistry but it's really because she was the only person in the whole company who didn't care."

"Wait so you're gay? But you don't..."

"Look it? Yea,  I get that a lot." The air is thick with tension. I'm not sure what to say. "You should probably go check on her. She's warmed up already. She danced at the my studio nonstop for like four hours but she's running on fumes."

"Yea, I know."

"Good luck." He pats my shoulder and walks out. I walk toward the stage and smile seeing her petite frame stretching in the middle.

"Mama, can we talk?" She looks over her shoulder at me coldly then looks away, just like I did to her yesterday. I sigh. "I guess I deserve that. You don't want to talk to me?"

She shakes her head.

"Do you want to talk to someone else?"

She shakes her head.

"Are you not talking because you're angry or because you're tired?" She pauses for a moment, unsure of the best way to respond.

"I'll take that as both."

She nods.

"I talked to Alex. He uh... cleared some things up for me. I'm sorry I was so rude to you yesterday. I should've believed you. I just... he's tall and y'all were smiling and I thought I was going to lose you but my fear shouldn't outweigh your word." Her face softens but she still doesn't speak.

"Come to the tour bus with me. You can lay down until it's time for sound check." She stops for a moment then, holds out her hand. I take it helping her to her feet but she stumbles. I scoop her up, carrying her bridal style. Her eyes glow as she looks up at me and her arms find their place around my neck and on my chest.

"I know you aren't super happy with me but I know you're tired, baby and I need you to get some rest before the show." I look down at her and she stares blankly off into the distance. "Are you hungry? I can send someone to get you something to eat."

She shakes her head.

"You sure? I could call Ronnie. He could get you anything you'd like."

She shakes her head again.

"Have you at least been drinking water?"

She shakes her head again.

"Just coffee." My heart skips a beat hearing her voice again.

"You don't even like coffee!" I joke kicking the door open and taking her outside.

"It was really good."

I stand there for a while just looking at her. I love the way she looks up at me and the way her body fits against mine. Even holding her like this feels natural.

"Genevieve, I really am sorry."

"Will you put me down? I don't think we'll both fit through the door." I set her down gently.

She turns to walk up the stairs but something in me reaches for her hand. She turns to look at me, her eyes a bright gold. Without thinking I pull her close to me and kiss her with everything I have. Her body is rigid at first but then she dissolved in my hands. Our bodies melt into each other as her arms find just the right place to rest.

"You're mine." I whisper softly against her lips. "Nothing and no one will ever change that." She kisses me again smiling softly as her lips part again.

"I'd like to see them try."