Disappearance

Genevieve's POV

Sitting on the edge of the stage I try to focus my energy. It's escaping from me in a way it hasn't since I was a child. My hands twitch, my legs shake, I struggle to keep still. I've already done all my practicing. I'm completely warmed up. Im not sure what else I can do.

"Mama, what's going on?" Prince says sitting beside me letting his legs dangle off the edge.

"I need an outlet."

"What kind?"

"I... I feel like I want to hit something."

"You want to hit something? Who pissed you off?"

"Nobody. I just need something high impact." He thinks for a moment then stands up before patting my back.

"I'll be back but we're gonna talk about you hitting things later." His heels click as he disappears behind me. A conversation that I can't fully hear happens and before I can hone in on the voices heels begin to click. "Come on."

"Where are we going."

"I can't let you hit anything but you can play these drums."

I take the sticks from his hands and sit on the stool. I feel shy. I can't remember the last time I was behind a drum kit.

"What should I play?"

"Play what you want."Everyone watches in anticipation. My eyes scan the drums as every song I can think of floods my head. I adjust my grip on the sticks as one sing becomes louder than the others and I begin to play.

Prince's POV

I watch her thoughts zip past behind her eyes as she thinks of song. She twirls the drumsticks in her fingers as the song comes to her mind then she grips them tight before she starts playing. I try to recognize the song but I can't place it. Something feels like it's missing. I mean, obviously, since I can't hear anything else in the song. I sit patiently as she plays knowing I can ask her when she's done. She takes a minute now that she's in the groove to play her own way. A drum solo of sorts erupts from the drum kit as she becomes in tune with the instrument. When she's finished she set down the sticks and walks over to me shaking the vibrations from her hands.

"War Pigs by Black Sabbath." She says softly coming over to hug me. Her body slumps into mine, my body weight the only thing keeping her upright.

"I don't think I've heard that song. You'll have to show it to me." She nods but doesn't say anything. "Baby what's going on with you today? Talk to me."

"I saw Mamakoko again."

"You had another dream?"

"Yea."

"What's she say this time?"

"She said do not be discouraged. My path is being forged by the capable hands of few not the mediocre hands of many."

"What do you think that means?"

"I'm not sure but she's making me nervous."

"Nervous about what?"

"All this cryptic talk about my career is scary. Something is after me? The mediocre hands of many? What could it mean?"

"Are you going to be okay to perform?"

"I will. I just might need a walk after the show."

"No late night dinner?" I ask in a silly upset voice.

"I'll still want late night dinner. Especially because I missed lunch."

"I grabbed you a sandwich."

"What? When?"

"When we went to get food. I told you after I woke you up from your nap. I even waited until you were dressed! Weren't you listening?" She thinks for a moment and the look on her face tells me she doesn't remember.

"I...I wasn't there..."

"Where were you?"

"I don't know. Lately, I've been feeling so strange. It's like I am existing somewhere between here and there. Not exactly absent but not present either."

"You sure you don't want to sit this one out? We all get sick days."

"I'll be fine."

Genevieve's POV

We huddle together and talk briefly as a group before the show starts. Prince pulls me aside giving me a gentle kiss and a warm hug in the wings.

"You're going to do just fine."

"I always do." He smirks at my response and then I leave again.

I see myself floating in space. I am naked and my afro encompasses my head. I'm in my barest state.

I'm vulnerable.

Floating amongst the stars, a constellation forms and I watch it closely. I watch the stars dance as they make the shape of a woman. She twirls and spins before being knocked down by several hands. She gets up and continues to move across the blackness of space. Falling over, seemingly, in pain, she kneels before standing again but this time she limps away. Then, she falls and the constellation explodes into a million pieces of stardust.

The light blinds me. My head aches and my eyes burn as the stars dissolve and I am now standing beside a body of water. It calls to me begging me to take a swim. I kneel beside it, gazing at my reflection as a hand reaches out and grabs my hair. I fall head first through this portal and when I emerge I am back in stage.

My body is sweating. People in the audience cheer. I look around and see everyone bowing. I take a bow too unsure of what's happened. Prince senses my confusion. He walks over, grabs my hand, and leads me off stage.