New York New York: Part 2

Prince's POV

We take a ride in a cab and end up outside her family's restaurant. A big maroon awning covers the front of the building with the words A&F African Kitchen sewn on in large white letters.

"It looks closed. Are you sure they know we're coming?"

"Baba does and he's inside." She smiles running across the street and into the restaurant. I follow closely behind her and take a look at the inside of the restaurant. Community pictures and family heirlooms adorn the walls. It's almost like the restaurant serves as the family photo album. Pictures from basketball games, gymnastics meets, pageant photos, trophies, and sashes are everywhere and some of it wasn't even theirs. The whole restaurant feels like the front of a rec center. It place for the community to come together and celebrate each other.

"Baba!" Genevieve squeals running up to her father. She jumps into his arms and I chuckle seeing her legs dangling in the air. He's taller than I thought he'd be. He easily towers over both of us but not by too much. He's probably about 5'8". Standing here holding his adult daughter , you can tell he had a the type of strength that is easily hidden by clothes, kind of like me.

"There's my Elly Bean. I've missed you."

"I missed you too, Baba." She sniffles a little as he puts her down."Why don't you go upstairs and get everyone? I'm sure they'd love to see you." He kisses her forehead and sends her away before turning to face me.

His face is stoic for a moment before forming a big smile.

"It's so nice to finally meet you, son." He holds out his hand and I take it immediately being pulled into a hug. I've spoken to him on the phone a few times trying to plan a surprise for Genny but this is the first time I've seen him in person.

"It's nice to meet you too, sir."

"Genevieve, seems pretty taken by you. Do you feel the same way about her?" He releases me and offers me a seat beside him at the counter.

"Yessir." I say taking the seat.

"Please, call me Anthony."

"Alright." I chuckle. She was right about him.

"I probably don't have to tell you this, but she's a very special and very sensitive girl. How has she been?" I didn't think he'd ask me that. I expected him to be weary of me, ask me what my intentions are but he only wants to know how she's doing.

"She's been good for the most part."

"Any dreams lately?"

"No."

"Has she been really quiet? Stopped talking?"

"Not recently."

"But you've seen it before?"

"Yea."

"How'd it go?"

"She shuts down fast. She gets in her head and gets stuck there sometimes. Mostly crying or forgetting how to breathe."

"Hm. And what happens after that?"

"I hold her until she's calm enough to talk about it." His face shifts and he looks down at me.

"She talks to you afterwards?" I nod.

"Usually, she calms down enough to talk or she falls asleep and we talk when she wakes up."

"And what do you do while she's sleeping or trying to calm down?"

"Get her water or take her to get fresh air. If she's sleep I wrap her in a blanket and keep her hair out of her face."