Holidays on the Road: Part 3

Genevieve POV

I walk into the venue late but it's okay because I had a really good reason.  I take my spot next to Wendy and Lisa and take note of the grumpy faces around me.

"Hey, G. Where you been?" Andre smiles.

"I had to take care of something but I'm here now." Prince looks at me and I give him a thumbs up. He gesture for me to move forward and I begin to make my announcement.

"I made a little something for us. It is not a full Christmas dinner but it is a home cooked meal. There's enough for everyone including all the people working behind the scenes. So once we are finished with sound check make sure you eat."

"What is it?" Miko asks from the corner.

"You'll see after sound check." Prince is quick to get everyone together for soundcheck. I promised him a special treat. I'm not sure what he thinks it is but his excitement is very cute.

We breeze through soundcheck. Mica are set to the right levels and instruments are all warmed up. The dismissal is chaotic as everyone runs to the back to see what I made. The pans are set on their burners and I take my time unwrapping everything.

"Alright, I've got jerk chicken traditional and not spicy, Mac and cheese, my sweet and spicy greens, salad, and homemade rolls. I made sorrel if anyone is interested in trying it. If not there's also water and things. If ya don't eat meat there's no meat in the sides, but go ahead and make your plates."

The room swells with people and conversation as everyone makes their plates and begins to eat. The crew was very surprised to hear that they could also eat. It wasn't the original plan, I'm just not very good at cooking small meals. I stand in the corner watching the line of people. People load up plates and find seats around the room. I've always thought a good meal could bring people together and at the restaurant I saw it all the time. I never thought I'd miss it so bad.

"Yo, G!" Andre calls from across the room. I walk over to the table he and the rest of the band are sitting and see what's up. "What's this drink again?"

"Sorrel."

"Yea, but like what is it?"

"It's a spiced tea traditionally served during Carribean holidays. You can have it hot or cold but I think it tastes best over ice with a little rum."

"Why is it red?"

"It's made from what you call hibiscus. The plant releases its pigment when it is steeped." Andre nods taking another sip. I smile feeling happy to share a bit of knowledge and my culture with friends. Prince looks at me from across the table and gestures for me to join him. I walk over with a smile and he smiles back moving his seat out from under the table. He pulls me into his lap and wraps his arms around my waist.

"Did you eat?" He asks resting his head in my shoulders.

"Not yet. I'll probably eat after the show."

"Too close to showtime?" I nod. "This was a great meal, mama. When did you have time to do all this?"

"Last night when I couldn't sleep. I just drove home and started cooking." He nods, leaning back in his chair. "You ready for your surprise?"

"Sure." I get up, walking back to the food table grabbing the container I hid. I pick up a fork and make my way back to him, finding my seat on his lap again.

"Open."

"What is it?"

"It's a surprise. Now, open!" He chuckles a little before opening his mouth. I open the container and put a little on the fork before placing it in his mouth. He cautiously removes the food from his fork before chewing.

"Mmm. What's is it?"

"It's a semi traditional Caribbean rum cake."

"Semi?"

"I used sorrel and wine instead of rum for this one so you could eat it now. I know how you are about drinking before a show."

"Is there more?"

"A whole cake back home and a single slice right here." I break off another piece and offer it to him.

"Y'all feeding each other now?" Miko says with a face full of disgust.

"I think if you found somebody to feed, you'd have less time to worry about us." I respond without thinking. The band chuckles and Prince smirks taking the food off the fork. He shakes his head as he swallows

"You know you wrong for that."

"I've been wrong before." I shrug.

"You sure you don't want to eat?"

"I'm sure." He decides to drop it. Together we sit blissfully as I continue to feed him cake.

The show starts and ends. The crowd cheers loudly, another amazing concert. Excitedly, I run through the venue until I make it outside. A pristine white blanket covers everything. The snowflakes fall like confetti as I look up that sky. Prince joins me outside wrapping his arms around me.

"Mama, you're going to freeze to death. Please, come back inside."

"It's so beautiful, Prince." I smile looking down at him for a moment before returning my focus to the sky.

"It is." He sighs giving my a smile. He removes his trench coat placing it over my shoulders. We stand here for a long while just taking it all in. It's so quiet when it snows. Almost as if the whole world has stopped to admire its beauty.

"What time is it?" I ask softly my eyes never leaving the tree I've been staring at.

"1:12." He says looking at his watch. I smile again turning to face him.

"Merry Christmas, Prince." I stand on my toes so we're face to face. He holds me close, stabilizing me, the warmth of his body keeping me safe from the elements.

"Merry Christmas, Genevieve." I kiss him sweetly, feeling warm despite being out in the snow. My head rests on his chest a while as I enjoy the warmth of his presence and the joy I feel in his company. I never want leave.