Home Is Where the Heart Is

Genevieve's POV

"Why're you dressed like this? You're going to the airport not to a photoshoot. Or has Hollywood gotten to you?" My mother asks standing outside the bathroom while I finish my hair.

"She has a date!" Tyson yells running passed us.

"A date?! It better not be with that scandalous man."

"Florence, she's a grown woman. Let her have this."

"He's a womanizer and a rockstar! What kind of husband will he be to her?! Always gone and singing that flirtatious music."

"I knew a girl who liked loud flirtatious music once. She was the most exciting woman I had ever met and I knew she would take me on all kinds of adventures. Maybe Ellie wants to find her next adventure and has found it with a rockstar." My mother swoons a little as she reminisces about her youth.

"That may be the case but one day she might not want that."

"Mama, right now all I want is to be happy and he gives me that even as a friend. He cares about me and the things that matter to me. He's the entire reason I was able to make this trip!"

"Anyone can buy a plane ticket. We could've gotten ya a ticket and ya know that."

"Why is it so hard for you to accept that I want more than to be someone's quiet wife? I want adventure, I want excitement, I want travel, and luxury!"

"A lawyer or a doctor could offer you that!" I grab my bags and begin to walk away.

"I'm going home and I'm going on my date and I'm going to travel the world with him." I walk over to my siblings and the hold each of them close.

"Promise you'll come back." Tyler cries.

"Yea, don't be gone so long next time." Jackson adds.

"I won't. I promise."

"Gen Gen, don't leave. I'll miss you." Her little hand reaches up and wipes tears from her little eyes."

"Don't cry, Jack Jack. I'll be back before you know it. Maybe next time you'll come see me!"

"Really?"

"Mhm." She holds out her pinky and I loop mine around hers. "I promise." I rest my head on hers and give her a kiss on the nose. A loud honk tells me my cab is here and I stand up taking my bags in my hand again.

"Goodbye, Ellie Bean. Have a safe trip." My father offers with a hug. He squeezes me tight and the smell of castor oil lingers in the air. "Don't worry, star. It'll all work out."

"Yes, Baba." I turn to look at my mother who has started sweeping. She looks up at me for a moment then goes back to her cleaning. I sigh and walk out the door.

The cab takes me to the airport and everything goes smoothly. I get my ticket, check my bags, and wait for boarding. They call first class and I stand up making my way to the line. The woman takes my ticket with a smile and I walk passed her into the plane. In first class, I'm offered water and a blanket as I take my seat. I smile and thank the stewardess as she lays out the blanket and hands me a bottle of water.

I release my hands from the blanket and get lost in my notebook. Drawing and planning and thinking to myself as the flight takes off. Once we're in the air, I relax a little. I glance out the window and watch cities and states pass by. When we land, I am quick to grab my luggage and head out to the parking garage. My yellow dress blows in the gentle breeze as I make my way to his car. He steps out quickly taking my bag and putting them in the trunk all but my carry on which I've made my purse for today. We climb into the car and it's silent for a moment. My mothers words swirl in my mind as I look at him. He turns to me and I feel my body react. My lips crash onto his and I can feel his shock at first but he eventually eases into the kiss. His arms pull me closer and my hands hold his face, his beard gently scratching my palms. I missed him in every way a woman misses a man. I needed to feel his touch, his warmth, his embrace to clear the fog from my mind. When my soul is soothed, I pull away and sigh.