Be-U-Tiful

Prince's POV

Sitting in the kitchen, I talk to Ronnie about the security post at the gate. He thinks it's time for an upgrade. Together we look at enhancements in some weird security magazine. A figure zips passed us forcing us to turn our heads.

"Genny, when did you get here?" She stands staring at the fridge tapping her foot anxiously.

"Five minutes ago." She says plainly opening the cabinets.

"You need to work on something?"

"Nope."

"You need something?" She closes the door and walks over to me.

"Can't a woman visit someone she cares about."

"Not when she's checking their house for junk food." She lets out a groan from deep inside her stomach and ends up grabbing a bottle of water.

"I had a bad day and all I want are pretzels!"

"Mama, you can have all the pretzels you want in three days."

"What's this about?" Ronnie asks looking between the two of us.

"She's on a detox diet. No sugar, low salt, no greasy food and absolutely no junk."

"This is the dumbest thing I've ever done. It's the dumbest thing I've ever done every time I do it and I keep doing it!" She chugs the water tossing the bottle into the trash when she's finished.

"You wanna look at security equipment with us? It'll distract you." I offer still not looking up.

"I'd rather eat a cardboard."

"Come here, mama."  She walks over to me and rests her head on my shoulder. I rub her back gently and she just closes her eyes for a moment.

"After my pageant can we got to the mall and get a soft pretzel?"

"You can have whatever you want." I can hear her smile as she thinks about her pretzel. "Just three more days, baby." She sighs a little and I kiss her forehead. "You wanna rehearse when I'm done?"

"Yea."

"Go get your binder. I'll meet you upstairs." She tries to walk away but I pull her in again and kiss her. "You better be smiling when I get up there."

"I will be but you are not gonna like it." She laughs walking away. I turn back to the magazine Ronnie and I are looking at and feel his gaze. I look up and he's smiling at me.

"What?"

"She makes you really happy doesn't she?" I can't help but smile as I think about her and all the ways she makes me feel.

"Happier than I've been in a long time."

"I'll leave this catalog in your study."

"I'll order the cameras and intercom you asked for sometime this week. We'll figure out how to install everything later. " Ronnie nods and takes his leave.

I make my way upstairs and find Genevieve in her regular clothes and her pageant heels. Standing on one foot, she's flipping through her binder and reciting answers to herself.

"Here take this and sit on the bed."

"I was able to find out that the stage is shaped like a T. A stage connected to a runway that leads out to the audience. So I want to practice the formation and my questions."

"Are you really gonna wear those shoes for the whole pageant?" She looks down at her feet and smiles at her shoes.

"Not only these. I have shoes to go with my dress too."