Just the 2 of Us

Prince's POV

"You're hilarious." I laugh opening her door and helping her into the car.

"She's always starting with me! Honestly, I don't see what she gains." She chuckles as I get in.

"I don't know what it is about you either. She's disliked a lot of people but you seem to really get under her skin."

"Thank you for buying my dinner. You didn't have to do that." Her voice is soft and coy as she looks out the window. I pull out of my parking spot and make the drive across town to 7th street.

"You said you were on a date. I was just playing the part."

"I've gone on dates and paid my own bill. Not often but it happens."

"Really? Well, I hate to say it but, you've been dating the wrong kind of guys."

"You always pick up the check on dates?"

"Try to. You're the first woman that's ever stopped me."

"You've been trying to pick up checks since we met."

"Well, tell me this, Genny. Are we dating now?"

"I guess you could say that. I'm still waiting on a finalized divorce, but this is definitely the start of something." Her gaze shifts from the window and her eyes land on me.

"If you agree to date me you gotta stop bringing your wallet when we go out." I look over at her for a brief moment and she rolls her eyes.

"What if there's an emergency and I need money?"

"Whatever you've got going on I'll take care of it. I know that's hard for you but, you gotta learn to trust me." We stop and a red light and I take the opportunity to look at her longer. She doesn't like depending on me but I don't want her to depend on me. I just want her to know she doesn't have to do everything alone. Truthfully we're a lot alike. I used to have trouble asking for help but, Andre is the one who got me out of it. She deserves comfort and luxury and support and I want to show it to her.

"So you'll take care of everything tonight?"

"Uh huh."

"All my drinks?"

"Yep."

"What about... snacks at that gas station?" I look over at where she's pointing and smirk. I put in my turn signal and make my way into the parking lot. We get out of the car and she sticks beside me as we walk inside.

The lights are bright in the gas station. She hooks our arms and leads me around the store.

"What do you have a taste for?"

"Just something salty and a bottle of water." We look at all the bags of chips and she picks up a bag.

"You like plain potato chips?"

"What kind do you like?" I grab my favorites and hand them to her. "Bar-B-Q? Why would anyone want chips that taste like sauce?"

"They don't taste like barbecue sauce. It's more like the seasonings that you would put on barbecue food but chips. I think you'd like them." She scrunches up her face creating little wrinkles in her nose. "I'm getting them and you'll just have to see."

We turn the corner and come across the candy aisle. Her eyes go big as she examines all the choices. Despite being a pretty healthy eater, she has a crazy sweet tooth. Four shelves split in half one side fruit flavored candies and the other all the chocolate bars. I pick up a few packs of pop rocks and she looks at me puzzled.

"What is that?"

"Never had pop rocks? They were my favorite growing up."

"I've always preferred chocolate. Especially, if it has caramel."