Rest & Realizations

Genevieve's POV

After several slices of pizza, chicken wings, and sodas, we needed to lay back down. For once he ate more than I did and it made me a little sad. I'm not sure what's happening but I wish it would stop. I can see the weight I'm losing too. If I don't start eating again soon my costume will start to get loose. Maybe I'll go see a doctor in the next city.

I smile as Prince scoots closer to me pressing his chest against my back. His arm caresses my hip as he kisses across my shoulder.

"How are you feeling?"

"I feel good." I smile.

"Still too full too move?"

"No, why?"

"I have another surprise." He whispers into my ear.

"Please don't be more food."

"It isn't. I promise." He chuckles. "Now put on some real clothes."

"I have to wear clothes?!" I whine. I'm so comfortable in my big t-shirt.

"Just throw on one of your simple dresses or something. Now hurry!" He gets up digging through his suitcase and putting on his sweats from earlier. I sit up slowly, still not ready to move. He tosses me a long black dress and I throw it on. Together we make our way downstairs and are greeted by ecstatic black woman.

"Look, Lottie! There she is." A young girl peeks from behind the woman and her eyes get big and bright. We stand a reasonable distance away from them. The little girl stands beside her mother nervously.

"Hello, it is nice to meet you. I'm Genevieve." I smile reaching out my hand. The woman takes it with a happy smile.

"Oh, I know who you are. I'm Mary Anne and this is my daughter Charlotte." I smile at the girl and bend down to speak to her.

"It's nice to meet you Charlotte." I hold out my hand for her and she runs over to over to me nearly knocking me down. I brace myself and catch her as her arms wrap around my neck. With her mother's permission, I hug her back before standing up again.

"You're the first Black woman I've ever seen dancing in a magazine!" Charlotte cries.

"Are you a dancer too?" I ask softly. She nods with big eyes. "What style of dance do you do?"

"Contemporary, ballet and tap"

"Do you practice hard?"

"Yes!"

"Do you eat good food and drink plenty of water?"

"Mhm."

"Very good." I think for a moment then smile again. "I've never taken a contemporary class. Do you think you could show me something?" The little girl nods taking a few steps away from us to give her some space. She does a few turns and leaps and we all applaud. "You dance so beautifully, Charlotte! Thank you for sharing with me." Charlotte smiles wide standing beside her mother. Who reaches into her purse grabbing a camera.

"Could we take a picture? We'd like to remember this day forever." I look at Prince who smiles and nods. We group together as hotel worker walks by. Mary Anne hands them the camera before squeezing in between us. We smile as the flash goes off before turning to each other and sharing hugs.

"Charlotte, I need you to promise me something." I say turning to her and holding her hands. "Dance is really hard and some days you won't want to do it anymore but on those days you need to dance just a little bit harder, okay?" Charlotte nods. "And in everything take care of you? Eat well, drink water, and get plenty of rest."