11.

Sage;

I nervously bounced my leg as I waited for my class to walk into the room. After having a late dinner with Novalie, we parted ways after I called her an Uber that she insisted on buying herself. I even convinced her to let me pay for the food and she reluctantly agreed after threatening to fight me.

Whatever that meant.

After we finished our dance, something changed in Novalie and it warmed my chest. She was more energetic and giggly, cracking little jokes while we ate that caused me to throw a few fries at her. She asked me what it was like being in the army and I told her it was like being trapped in a box full of toys, except if you used certain toys you'll never be the same again.

She listened to me with wide eyes, sipping her milkshake as I explained to her how Grenades worked. She asked the most unique questions and it intrigued me even more. Her thought process was something I've never seen before, but then again someone as intelligent as her would have a different thought process for sure.

It was the best birthday I've ever had. It ran through my mind all weekend. I was up all night screaming into my pillow like a child to the thought of the young woman. The dance that we shared did something to me. The same thing that face she made at the supermarket did.

It made my knees weak.

I watched as everyone started to take their seats, Novalie scurrying inside quickly causing me to hold back my smile. She sat at her desk and pulled her hair in a ponytail when she noticed the coffee cup that sat on her desk. She looked at it in confusion before looking up at me, her face softening into a slight pout.

I nodded and she smiled shyly before taking the cup, gasping when she noticed that it was the reusable ones that they sold at Starbucks. She shook her head with a soft smile on her face that she tried to hide and it caused the butterflies to erupt in my stomach and my chest.

It'll keep you up for sure. I put four espresso shots in there.

I watched as she took a sip of the warm liquid, her eyes shocked from how strong it was. She continued to sip it, her eyes fluttering close from the warmth before looking up at me through her lashes with the same look she made at the supermarket.

Fuck. Stop looking at me like that.

I swallowed hard and looked down at the attendance sheet as I felt myself twitch in my pants. My birthday felt like a dream, but I knew it wasn't and it made it worse. The image of her dancing on the pole in the lingerie was embedded in my mind.

I had to touch myself for the first time in a long time over the weekend because of it. Of course I didn't think of her. It would've been inappropriate, so instead I watched all of the porn I had saved to my phone from my burner account on Twitter.

Pathetic. I know.

I started my lesson, today being something more simple. It was about work etiquette in a lab and hospital setting. I explained what was appropriate and what wasn't in a hospital setting and why certain things weren't allowed. I, then allowed them to practice with their stethoscopes and thermometers.

Novalie sat alone since she didn't have anyone to practice on. She was scribbling in her notebook with her chin resting on the desk causing me to chuckle quietly before walking over. She slowly looked up before sitting up and smiling sheepishly as she flipped the page so I didn't see what she drew.

"Nurse, I don't feel so good." I whined playfully causing her to gasp before laughing behind her hand. I sat down on the chair next to her and put my hand on my forehead as I pouted.

"I think I need to see a doctor, ma'am."

Novalie cleared her throat and prepared to play along, grabbing her stethoscope and blood pressure kit before standing up.

"What are your symptoms?" She asked as she grabbed a note pad.

"Headache, swollen ankles, excessive thirst."

"Hm..okay, I'll need to do your vitals, okay?" She asked, sanitizing her hands and slipping on her gloves before placing the stethoscope in her ears, grabbing the metal piece and placing it on my chest. Her face was close to mine and I licked my lips, which didn't go unnoticed as her eyes darted from them and back up to my eyes.

"Your heart sounds good. Have you experienced these symptoms before?" She asked as she started to place the blood pressure cuff on my arm. I shook my head and she hummed as she placed the thermometer in my mouth.

She started to pump the blood pressure cuff, watching as it started to deflate before reading the compass. The thermometer beeped and she took it from my mouth as she continued to read my blood pressure.

"Everything seems normal. The doctor will be in shortly to examine you."

"And that's an A for today."

Her face broke into a large smile and it made my heart nearly explode as she cheered quietly. I smiled and stood up, before walking over to my desk and marking down her credit. I walked around the rest of the classroom, observing everyone else's effort and giving them their credit.

I walked back to my desk and looked up to see her starting to dose off. I allowed it for a few minutes while everyone finished up their labs. Since she already finished, it wouldn't hurt to let her rest for a few minutes before the lecture class.

More than four espresso shots. Got it.

I dismissed the class and packed up my things before walking over to Novalie's desk. She was snoring softly and I couldn't help but smile, allowing my fingers to caress her cheek softly.

"Claire stop." She mumbled causing me to chuckle softly before shaking her shoulder.

"It's Sage, not Claire. You have to get up, lab is over."

"Ugh..I'm up, I'm up." She moaned, letting out a whimper that made my ears twitch at the soft sound as she sat up. I swallowed hard and watched as she looked up at me with sleepy eyes, a pained expression plastering on her face.

"Sorry. Got off at four." She groaned before standing up. I chuckled and rubbed her back softly as she grabbed the coffee cup and the rest of her things.

"Go get a banana and another cup of coffee. I'll mark you present, okay?"

"Sir, yes sir." She chanted sleepily causing me to laugh and push her slightly. She giggled and walked out of the room with me following behind her.

Even through the exhaustion, you have jokes. Such a sweetheart.