17.

Novalie:

What am I going to do?

That's the only thought that kept running through my mind as I stared out of the window. I was completely heart broken, blaming myself for what happened. If I had just stayed with her like I usually do when I'm not working, none of this would've happened.

I felt stuck. I felt as if everytime I took two steps forward, I was pulled ten steps back. All the money I had saved would have to go to an apartment for us, and I would have to find a babysitter for when I went to work. I can't find it in me to ever leave her alone, especially after something like this.

I can't stand myself. Priorities before pleasure, Novalie. What the hell were you thinking leaving her alone when you didn't have to? Stupid.

I couldn't quit work. Not yet. Not until I found something better, and I refuse to live rent free with Sage. She was doing more than enough and it was embarrassing enough for her to even be involved. I know she probably didn't like me anymore, and I just had to prepare for the heartbreak and pity I was going to receive at any moment.

I still would have to pay rent if I were to get an apartment. Which means I'd have to work extra hard because it's not like paying someone directly, like I was with Lana. It was eight hundred a month for that one bedroom. Now I'd have to pay for an entire apartment plus utilities. Not to mention how expensive groceries were, and she would need clothes and lunch money.

Fuck. Fuck..

"We're here." Sage's voice broke me from my thoughts and I looked up to see her staring at me from the drivers seat. I looked down and saw Claire was sleeping against my shoulder and I sighed.

"Okay, let me just wake her up-"

"You don't have to. I'll carry her inside."

"No-"

"Novalie. I want to help you. Please, the least I can do is bring her inside." Sage breathed. I could hear the slight frustration in her voice and I swallowed hard before nodding. She got out of the car and opened the back door, allowing me to step out before bending down and swiftly lifting Claire up causing me to swallow hard.

"My keys are in my back pocket. I'll come and grab the bags once I lay her down." I walked over and took the keys from her pocket and walked up the stairs behind her. I opened the door and she walked in, immediately laying Claire down on the couch gently.

Her house was nicely designed. There were plants in almost every corner, the windows large and letting in some moonlight from outside. She had book shelves full of textbooks and other books and it made me bite my lip.

I watched as she walked up the stairs with our bags and I smiled appreciatively as she placed them down before shutting the door. She sighed and looked over at Claire who slept soundly on the couch before looking up at me.

"Thank you again. You didn't have to-"

"I did. Come, I'll fix you a cup of tea, okay? You don't have to worry." Sage breathed as she took my hand. I nodded and looked at Claire again before following Sage to her kitchen. I sat down at the table and watched she moved around, putting water to boil on the stove.

"Is herbal okay?" She asked as she looked over at me. I nodded and smiled sheepishly. We sat in silence as we waited for the water to boil, my thoughts running a mile a minute. I couldn't help but wonder how the night would've been if we finished our date.

My thoughts went back to the kiss that we shared. I felt flustered at the thought. Her lips were so soft against mine. I was completely mesmerized, especially with the way that she nibbled on my bottom lip.