16.

Tw; blood & mentions of SA.

Sage;

"We're almost there, okay baby? We're almost there." I chanted as I watched Novalie continue to shake anxiously in the passengers seat. I've been speeding above the limit, trying my best to get her home as fast as possible.

I know she was trying to hold it together. She was so used to being the strong one but was moments away from breaking apart. I grabbed her trembling hand and held it tightly as I continued to drive.

We pulled up in front of the building and she didn't waste any time, getting out of the car and running into the building. I grabbed her shoes and her bag, turning off the car and walking in to see her standing by the elevator as she bounced nervously.

"Come on, come on." She whimpered as she continued to press the button. The doors opened and she scurried inside, her chin trembling as she watched the numbers climb to the third floor.

"Breathe."

"Don't. Please." She whispered as she looked at me with broken eyes. I nodded and swallowed hard, running after her as she dashed out of the elevator and to the apartment door. Her hands were shaking as she tried to unlock it, finally getting the key inside and pushing the door open.

"Oh my God... Claire?! Claire?!" She yelled as she looked around the apartment. It was a complete mess, broken glass everywhere and books all over the floor. There were small traces of blood on the ground and I swallowed hard as Novalie ran to the bathroom.

"Oh my baby, my baby.. what happened?!" Novalie sobbed. I slowly walked over and swallowed hard as I saw her rocking back and forth as her sister sobbed into her chest. They were both crying on the floor and I placed Novalie's things down before slowly walking into the bathroom.

There was a knife on the ground that was covered in blood, the mirror broken as if something ran into it. The tears welled in my eyes as the anxiety bubbled in my chest and I looked down at Novalie who was holding Claire's face.

"Tell me what happened. Who did this?"

"S-she had someone over and I was in the shower. I guess he had to use the bathroom but the door was locked. He kept banging on it and when I got out he was just standing there staring at me. So when I moved past him he tried following me into the room but I slammed the door shut. So he broke in the room, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I tried locking the padlock but he kept pushing it open so I couldn't lock it. I managed to leave the room and grabbed a knife but he wouldn't leave me alone, so he chased after me and I stabbed him in the arm when he tried to come into the bathroom." Claire sobbed. Novalie shook her head as the tears ran down her face as she pulled Claire into her chest again.

"Is she here?" Novalie asked but Claire shook her head.

"I don't know where she went, but he left after I stabbed him. I think he destroyed everything before he left. I hid the money box in the tile where you usually have it because I was scared he would take it."

"I have to call the police-"

"No! No, they're going to take me from you, Novie. I don't want to go, not again. I'm fine, okay?! I'm fine." Claire sobbed, it shattering my heart to pieces as I looked between the both of them. I felt useless, swallowing hard as I looked at Novalie.

"You can stay with me..until you figure this out. I don't think you should stay here."

"No. No it's fine, I'll get us a hotel." Novalie breathed as she looked up at me with exhausted eyes. I shook my head and slowly walked over, bending down to their level.

"I rather you stay with me. Just until you're both calm and can figure things out. Hotels are expensive and just as dangerous. I have more than enough room."

"Please, Novie. Anything but here. Please, I'm scared he's going to come back." Claire whimpered into her chest. Novalie swallowed hard before looking down at Claire. She had a hard look on her face as if she was thinking about something before looking up at me.

"I swear to God if you even look at her the wrong way-"

"That would never happen, Novalie. You know that." I whispered. I could see behind her eyes that she was having a hard time trusting me, but I couldn't blame her. They've been through more than enough and it broke my heart to see them this way, but I wanted to help in any way that I could.

"Okay..okay fine. Just..okay. Fuck." Novalie whispered before standing up. Claire slowly stood with her, both of their bodies trembling in fear as they looked at me.

"Thank you." Claire whispered as she looked at me with broken eyes. I nodded, but gasped as she wrapped her arms around me and hugged me, crying into my chest. I slowly hugged her back, looking at Novalie who's chin trembled as she shook her head before walking into the bedroom.

"How about I help you with that? Hm?" I asked as I looked at the open wound on her palm. She nodded and we walked over to the kitchen table and I sat her down. I always carry a first aid kit with me everywhere I went. It was something I've always done ever since being in the army. I took out the small kit from my purse and placed it on the table before sitting down.

"It's a little deep so I'll have to stitch it up for you, okay?" I breathed as I sanitized my hands. She nodded while sniffing and I opened the kit, slipping on the gloves that were folded and grabbing the alcohol pad. I started to clean it and she hissed, but managed to stay still as she tried to stay strong. It made me smile slightly because I knew she was just as stubborn as her sister.

I placed the iodine and numbing cream on her hand and waited a few minutes before starting to stitch it up. It took me a little while, making sure to take my time and tied the knot before cutting the thread. I grabbed a hand wrap and started to wrap her hand before tapping it softly with a smile.

"There."

"Thank you. I see why Novie likes you. You're smart." She whispered. I chuckled lowly and shook my head as I swallowed hard.

"Not as smart as your sister. Nowhere near. How about we go check on her, hm?" She nodded and we both stood, walking to the bedroom to see Novalie packing two suitcases in a hurry. She had three large piles of money sitting on one side of the bed causing my eyes to widen slightly before looking away.

"Claire, grab what you need for school and anything else and come help me. I don't want to keep her waiting." Novalie stated strongly causing Claire to nod and immediately walk over to her sisters side.

"Take all the time you need. I'm not going anywhere." I breathed as I leaned against the door. Novalie nodded appreciatively but I could see the pain in her eyes. She kept avoiding eye contact with me as she continued to pack her things. I offered to help but she shook her head, putting a hand up to stop me from walking over causing me to freeze in my tracks.

"Claire, block her number on your phone. I already told her what happened and that I'm not paying her rent for this month. If she tries to reach you, don't respond. Understood?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Good. Put on a jacket, it's cold outside. Let's go." Claire walked out of the room leaving Novalie and I standing in a tense silence. She grabbed the pile of money and slipped it in a safe that had more money inside of it.

So responsible. So strong. Just let me take care of you. It's time for you to take a break, love. I can see it.

"I'll take the bags-"

"I've got it!" Novalie stated harshly while glaring at the ground causing me to jump before brushing past me and placing them next to the door. She took the key off of her keychain and placed it on the table before opening the door and grabbing the bags.

"Let's go Claire."

Claire followed after her sister and I swallowed hard before shutting the apartment door. We all walked downstairs in silence, all of us standing in front of the car. I popped open the trunk and tried taking the bags from Novalie but she moved away from me swiftly, placing them into the trunk and slamming it shut before slipping into the backseat with her sister.

Fuck. This is going to be hard.