12.

Storm is brewing.

Unedited

Sage;

"Make sure to be ready for next weeks test. All of the units we have covered will be on it, so please make sure to study. Have a good day everyone."

I watched as the class walked out of the lecture hall, leaving one sleepy student behind as she snored into her desk. She managed to get through most of the lecture, but crashed toward the end. It was better than sleeping through the entire class.

It still didn't make me feel better, especially knowing she was exhausted because she was taking care of her family.

"Hey..come on, sweetheart. You have to get up."

She didn't budge, and I sighed, bending down before poking her cheek with my pen causing her nose to twitch slightly. I poked her again and she groaned.

"Claire, stop bro."

"It's Sage..again."

Her eyes shot open and she looked around before sitting up and running a hand down her face. She groaned and shook her head in embarrassment before looking up at me with bloodshot eyes.

"I didn't survived, did I?"

"No ma'am."

"Fuck. At least I got my notes in."

"Yes ma'am."

She sighed and stood up, packing her things and rubbing her eyes as she stood next to me. I sighed and grabbed her bag causing her to look at me with confusion.

"What are you doing?"

"Taking your bag. I'll give you a ride home."

"You don't have to do that."

"Novalie, you're exhausted. I rather take you and you pass out in my passengers seat than you fall asleep in the back of an Uber. They're crazy now a days. Come on. I'm not taking no for an answer."

"Aye aye, captain."

"Shut up." I chuckled as I rolled my eyes causing her to giggle. We both walked out of the lecture hall, Novalie holding the notebook to her chest as if her life depended on it.

We silently walked to my car and I opened the passenger door for her before walking to the drivers side and placing her bag in the backseat. She was already out, snoring softly as she curled into a ball in my front seat.

"Novalie."

"Hm?" She grunted causing me to chuckle.

"I need your address."

"225 east 20th st." She mumbled sleepily before starting to snore again. I put it into the gps and started to drive off when my phone started to ring.

"You've been a ghost since your birthday. Where have you been?" Brooke yelled causing me to cringe and lower the volume before looking at Novalie. She was still sound asleep and I swallowed hard.

"I have to call you later."

"Oop-well okay then. Don't mind me..just withering..away.."

"Shut up Brooke. I'm driving so I'll call you when I'm home, you dick."

"Whatever. Anyway, I was calling to let you know that Austin's gallery opening is on Saturday and I wanted to know if you can come support. Please, I know you don't like him but I really don't want to be alone with all of his snobby friends. I'll owe you-"

"Fine. Fine."

"You can bring a date, too. Wink wink." I rolled my eyes and chuckled before hanging up the phone. I knew Brooke would appreciate my company so I wouldn't mind going. I looked over at Novalie and saw she was still asleep before looking out of the windshield.

Do you like art? I would think so.

We finally reached her apartment building and I sighed before looking over at the exhausted woman that snored against my window. I shook her slightly but she didn't budge, still asleep causing me to smirk.

I took my finger and put it in my mouth before slowly pushing it into her ear, causing her to gasp and push my hand away. I started fo laugh, laughing harder as she slapped me repeatedly.

"Why would you do that?! That's so gross!" She yelled causing me to laugh.

"Chill, chill. You weren't budging. I had to do something." I chuckled causing her to groan and roll her eyes.

"Thanks for the ride, Sage. I'll see you on Monday."

"Wait." I breathed causing her to freeze and looking at me. I swallowed hard, feeling the anxiety bubble in my chest as she continued to look at me with confusion and slight concern.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, yeah. Um..do you like art?" I asked. She blinked rapidly before nodding slowly, the confusion still on her face.

"My friend's husband is having a gallery opening on Saturday. I wanted to know if you'd like to join me? I understand if you're too tired, I know you-"

"I would love to go with you, Sage." She breathed softly, a smile plastered on her face. I was taken aback, my eyes widening as I felt my cheeks start to heat up.

"Really?"

"Duh. What, you thought I'd say no?" Novalie chuckled causing me to roll my eyes with a playful scoff.

"I'll pick you up at seven?"

"Sounds good to me. Is it black tie?"

"Yes. As posh as it gets." I giggled causing her to laugh while shaking her head. She shot me a look and I smiled, swallowing hard as she leaned in and kissed my cheek softly.

"Get home safe. I'll see you on Saturday."

"Wait, I need your number. So I can let you know when I'm on my way, of course."

"Sure Professor Madden. Just to let me know when you're on your way." She stated sarcastically causing me to chuckle and roll my eyes. I handed her my phone and she typed in her number before grabbing her bag. Her eyes met mine for a moment and she smiled before getting out of the car and scurrying into the building. 

I waited for a second, watching as she disappeared from my view before looking down at my phone and chuckling at the contact name she gave herself.

Your Favorite Student.

As I drove home, I couldn't help but feel myself grow excited about Saturday. I know it wasn't a date, but I was still happy to have her come with me. I'm sure she's going to look beautiful and I had to make sure I could match it.

I didn't want to tell Brooke anything out of fear that something would intervene with my plans. So instead of calling her back, I turned off my phone and slipped under my covers, falling into a deep nap with a smile plastered on my face.

Oh, Novalie. What are you doing to me?