29.

Brooke in the MM.

Unedited

Novalie:

"Sage, please answer the phone

"Sage, please answer the phone..it's been hours, baby." I whispered into the phone. It's been going to voicemail for the last two hours. She told me she was going on a walk but never came back. I was worried, a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach causing me to feel sick.

It was after five in the morning. She's been gone since two, and I wanted nothing more than to make sure she was okay. I slowly stood up and let out a breath before walking out of her room when I heard sniffing come from my room.

"Sage?" I asked as I opened the door but I heard a gasp, Brooke sitting up and wiping her face aggressively as if she didn't want me to see her crying.

"Brooke? What happened to your-"

"I don't want to talk about it. Are you okay?" She asked as she put a hand out for me. I walked over and sat down next to her before taking the tall woman's hand and squeezing it.

"Sage has been gone for hours-"

"What?! For how long?!" Brooke hissed as she suddenly stood up abruptly causing me to look at her in a panic.

"What..what's going on?"

"Novie, I'm not sure if you know about Sage and her past but..fuck..um..do you have any of her passwords?" She asked as she got dressed. I just stared at her in shock and confusion, my thoughts racing so fast it was making me dizzy.

"What past? What is going on?"

"She has anger issues. Really bad ones. She's..sensitive when it comes to certain things and it makes her lash out. Um...okay listen, stay here. Don't panic. I'll call you if I find her. Okay?" She hissed before running out of the room and leaving me confused and fearful.

Her past? What..past?

Sage:

I stared down at Austin who was completely unconscious, his face swollen and unrecognizable from the amount of times I smashed the bottom of the gun into his face

I stared down at Austin who was completely unconscious, his face swollen and unrecognizable from the amount of times I smashed the bottom of the gun into his face. I wasn't sure if he was dead, but I couldn't focus on his pulse from the voice echoing repeatedly in my head.

Now it's your turn to make up for a fùcking waste of money.

I could feel his hands on me. It made me sick to my stomach and I couldn't concentrate on my breathing. The tears were uncontrollable as I looked down at my blood covered hands. I wasn't sure what time it was or how I got here, but I know I did something bad and Brooke will never forgive me.

"Sage? Sage are you here?!" I heard the voice of my best friend call from downstairs of her house causing me to whimper as I curled up further into a ball. I cried silently as I smashed my face into my knee, wishing the pain would just go away.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry I'm sorry.." I repeated as I cried, rocking back and forth as I continued to stay wrapped around myself. I heard heavy footsteps and the bedroom door busted open, a whimper leaving Brooke's mouth. I didn't bother looking up, afraid that she'll look at me as some sort of monster.

"Oh, Sage..honey, what did you do?" Her voice was gentle but it didn't help the panic that was ripping through my body. She slowly pulled my face up and Brooke's eyes were filled with tears as she analyzed my face.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry-"

"Sh. Sh, it's okay lovely. It's okay. He's breathing, so I'm going to call an ambulance after we leave okay?" She whispered. I nodded slowly and she pushed my locs from my face as she shot me a shaky smile.

"Come, I'm going to take you home. Give me your phone so I can cancel your classes for the rest of the week, okay? You need to go home, take a bath and talk to Novalie."

"I don't know where it is. I don't even remember how I got here." I sniffed causing Brooke to nod as she caressed my cheek.

"It's okay. I know. I know how you get. I'm not mad at you okay, hon? It's okay.. come on, I'll call us a cab."

Novalie:

I paced back and forth as I stood in front of the door. It's been some time since I've heard from either of them and I was completely anxious. I managed to get Claire ready for school and called her an Uber. She didn't question why Sage wasn't here and I was grateful because I didn't even have an answer myself.

"Fuck..what the fuck is going on?" I hissed, touching my stomach as the anxiety caused me to feel dizzy again. I was scared that this was the end. That she didn't want me anymore and that she found someone better.

What if it's Brooke?

The thought alone made me sick to my stomach and I dry heaved, covering my mouth as I ran toward the garbage can and gagged, but nothing came out. I groaned and felt the tears well in my eyes as my heart raced in my chest.

Please don't let that be the case. Please.

The door handle jiggled and I gasped, walking over and ripping it open. I nearly passed out from relief, but swallowed hard as Sage darted inside with dried blood covering her hands. She didn't say a word, walking upstairs and Brooke and I stared at each other as a door slammed shut.

"What happened?" I sniffed and Brooke smiled sadly as she shook her head as she shut the front door.

"I don't know if you know but...Sage has severe PTSD. It got worse ever since she went into the army but she's had it since high school. Um..what Austin did to me triggered her into an episode and..she beat the fuck out of him, which was well deserved. She's not herself right now so I suggest just giving her some space. She cancelled her classes for the rest of the week because she's beyond exhausted especially right now. I'm sorry she didn't tell you."

I stared at Brooke as the tears streamed down my face. I couldn't believe she felt as if she had to deal with that by herself. It made me wonder what happened to her for it to be this bad. I couldn't imagine how she's feeling especially right now.

"Thank you for telling me."

"Of course. How about I spend the day with Claire and you guys talk? Hm?" She asked as she touched my shoulder to comfort me. I sighed and nodded as I wiped my face before walking upstairs.

"Sage?" I asked quietly as I opened the door to her bedroom. She was sitting at the edge of the bed while staring into space. She was as still as a statue and it terrified me. I shut the door and slowly walked over, her eyes still staring at the same spot since I walked in.

I slowly sat down next to her, her eyes still glued at the floor but her chin started to tremble.

"Baby.." I whispered as my own tears welled in my eyes and she slowly looked over at me before breaking down, her face landing in my chest as she started to sob while holding onto me for dear life.