36.

Unedited.

Sage:

"You sure you just don't want to bust in there?" Brooke asked as we continued to eat cake while sitting on the ground. Anya was fast asleep on the couch while Brooke and I sat in front of the bedroom door that Novalie had locked. She was sobbing so loudly that it hurt my chest, but I wanted to give her some space. Well, I didn't have a choice because everytime I said her name she let out a scream that didn't sound like she wanted company.

Claire was also in her room, her and her 'mother' exchanging numbers at the door before she left. I didn't speak to the woman considering I didn't feel like I had any place in this, slowly closing the door after Claire ran upstairs.

I understood both sides. I know Novalie is angry at her mom. I would be too if I were in her shoes. She completely abandoned them and created a new family without thinking about them. She could just be saying anything to get back into their good graces.

Then, when I think about Claire I also understand where she was coming from. I would do anything in my power to see my mom again. Despite her mistakes, I still had love for the woman and wished I could hug her just one more time.

But I was leaning toward Novalie more than anything. She deserved better than what she received and had every right to be angry. I just prayed she opened up to me. She never mentioned her father to know and hearing what she said about him broke me to pieces.

She sacrificed so much for her little sister and didn't receive any sort of acknowledgment about it. I felt like her feelings keep getting pushed aside when it comes to her family, Claire's excitement making it worse.

"I can't get in between this one this time, B. The woman just popped up out of nowhere."

"Looking rich as hell, too. Did you see that ring? The audacity." Brooke scoffed as she licked the frosting off of the spoon.

"Thank you!" Novalie yelled in agreement from inside of the bedroom. Brooke shrugged and I sighed as I shook my head. This entire situation was unexpected and I prayed the two sisters could work something out.

"Mind your business!" Claire yelled from behind her door causing Brooke and I to look at each other in shock, holding back our laughs before clearing our throats.

"If you text her I'm cutting off your phone!" Novalie yelled and Claire growled loudly.

"I'm sure she'll just get me another one!" Claire yelled back. It fell silent again and Brooke and I slowly stood up as we heard loud footsteps walk toward the door. Novalie ripped the bedroom door open and pushed through Claire's, both Brooke and I gasping as a loud slap echoed from the room.

Novalie stormed back into her bedroom and slammed the door shut, leaving Brooke and I staring with shocked lips and wide eyes. We heard Claire sobbing lowly and I swallowed hard.

"This..this isn't good-"

"You sure she's not pregnant?"

"She's on her period now."

"Well..she's very mad then. Go check on her, I'll check on Claire." Brooke whispered before walking into the young girls room and shutting the door. I sighed and walked over to Novalie's room and knocked on the door.

"Baby, can we talk now? I really want to check on you."

I didn't get any response and I rested my forehead against the door, nearly falling over as it swung open. Novalie walked back to the bed and crawled inside, curling up around the pillow. I shut the door and walked over to the bed before laying next to her.

"I hate her so much." Novalie sniffed quietly as she glared at the headboard. I sighed and continued to watch as she processed her emotions.

"Claire is so gullible. She probably lives in some big fancy fantasy while she left us to rot. Her father was rich as fuck, but he was the one who sold her drugs and led to this bullshit. Mine was just a bum. A drug addict who forced me to give him a handjob because he thought I was my mom when I was like eleven. I told her and then a few days later I never seen him again. He came around a few times but my mom stood in the room. At least when she wasn't passed out.

"I spent my entire life making up for her mistakes. And she just shows up? And Claire melts like some fucking puppy? I give up. I really do. She's sixteen now she can make her own choices-"

"You don't mean that. You're just angry, Nov."

"Whatever. I just..I know she probably got her number. She can finally have the rich fashionista of a mother she's always wanted. She can leave Brooke alone too."

"Brooke adores her, Novalie. Don't speak out of anger. I say, let things cool down and then talk it out."

"What is there to talk about? I don't want that woman anywhere near Claire. But Claire is stubborn and is either gonna sneak around to see her and get herself hurt, or hate me forever. It's clear a small part of her already does." She sobbed. I just stared in sadness as she wiped her tears before sitting up and placing her bonnet on her head.

"I'm going to go to sleep. I just..I need to be alone right now, I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I'm here whenever you need me. You do what you have to do to feel better. I'm one bedroom away."

"Thank you for understanding. Goodnight, Sage." Novalie breathed before turning off the lamp next to the bed. I swallowed hard and stood from the bed before walking to the door. I looked over at her once more and saw her laying down with her eyes closed, but they were squeezed in pain.

I shook my head and shut the door before taking off my clothes, walking to the bed and wrapping my arms around her from behind. She immediately melted into my touch, her body curling up in my arms as she started to cry.