23.

Sage;

"Mommy, mommy please wake up." I sobbed as her blood coated my hands. I was on my knees, trying my best to shake her awake but she didn't budge, the blood leaking from the open wound on her head.

"Mama..I need you..please.." I cried as I shook her again but she didn't budge. I heard heavy footsteps behind me and I gasped as I turned around, backing away until my back hit the wall.

"She owed me time. I payed for time and didn't fucking get it. Now it's your turn to make up for a fucking waste of money."

I gasped as I sat up, looking around as the sweat dripped down my forehead. I swallowed hard as I panted before looking down to see Novalie sleeping soundly next to me. After I calmed down last night, we held each other and stared at the skylight until we both fell asleep.

I was so angry. Men like that make me so fucking enraged. I've seen more than enough to know that certain men deserve their balls to be chopped off. I wanted nothing more than to go to that club and shoot him in the fùcking head like I was trained to do.

But the fear on Novalie's face made me do otherwise. I never wanted any woman to fear me the way men expect them to. I wasn't a man, and I refuse to even think like one.

I looked over at the time and saw it was after five a.m. I swallowed hard and sat up as I ran a hand down my face. I usually wake up at six anyway, so I might as well stay up. With the way that my heart was racing, I already knew I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep anyway.

So I stood and walked to the bathroom, washing my face with cold water before brushing my teeth. I grabbed my boxing gloves from the closet and walked down the hallway. I opened Claire's door slightly and saw she was still asleep and smiled at the sight, shutting her door before walking into my personal gym. I closed the door and slipped in my mouth guard before staring at the punching bag.

The memories of the night my mother died filled my mind and I glared at the punching bag. I was tired of the reoccurring memories, but knew that there wasn't anything I could do about it except box it out. It was the only way I got my anger out so it didn't aim anywhere that didn't deserve it's wrath. I stared to punch the bag, the sweat dripping down my body as I took my rage out on it. I kicked and punched it, letting out loud grunts and yells as I continued to hit it until my arms ached.

My alarm went off indicating it was time to get ready for work, but I didn't stop, continuing to punch the bag until it managed to hit me in the face as it recoiled, causing me to groan. I ripped off the glove and rubbed my nose that now ached with pain when I heard the door open causing me to jump.

"Hey.." Novalie's soft voice echoed as I turned around while standing up. She was wrapped in a silk robe that matched her pajamas. The baby blue color complimented her skin graciously.

"Hey." I breathed as I walked over and leaned down, kissing her forehead. Her eyes roamed my body as her hand touched my sweaty shoulder causing me to smile.

"You weren't in bed when I woke up. Are you okay?" She asked as she rubbed my shoulder. I nodded and she smiled up at me before sighing.

"I'm going to go wake up Claire. She has to be in school by seven thirty, and it's already after six." Novalie breathed before walking away but I pulled her back and wrapped my arms around her waist, leaning down and kissing her softly causing her to moan in surprise. She kissed me back before pulling away, looking up at me with a soft smile.

"We can all ride together. I don't mind." I breathed, still staring down at her lips. Her hand found the side of my face and caressed my cheek as she nodded before leaning in and kissing me again.

"Okay." She whispered against my lips. We kissed again and she walked out of the room, my hands dropping to my sides as I watched her walk down the hallway. I swallowed hard and walked to my room to get ready for the day.

I felt better now that I got all of my aggression out, taking a shower and getting dressed in a pair of black jeans and a turtle neck. The weather was getting colder, it being late September. I slipped on my lab coat along with my jacket and walked downstairs to see Claire chewing on an apple.

"Good morning."

"Morning, Sage. I heard we're all riding together today. Is Brooke going to pick me up after cheer practice?" She asked.

"That's up to Novalie, not me hon. Is that all you're going to eat for breakfast?" I asked as I opened the fridge and grabbed the pack of bagels, slipping one into the toaster.

"Yeah.." Claire dragged causing me to look over at her in worry. She sipped her water, her eyes staring down at the marble table causing me to purse my lips.

Hm.

"Claire, make sure you grab a jacket. I don't need you getting sick." Novalie breathed as she walked into the kitchen. She was in her scrubs and lab coat, wrapping her hair in a messy low bun as she walked over to her sister and handed her her bag.

"Is that all you're eating?" Novalie asked with a frown. Claire nodded and Novalie shook her head as she hummed in disapproval.

"Uh uh. No. We'll stop at the store and get you breakfast."

"Novie, I don't want-"

"Claire Carter. Don't argue with me. I know how ruthless cheer captains can be. There is nothing wrong with your figure and I don't need you passing out in school from malnutrition. You either eat or I'll force an ensure down your throat and pull you out of cheer." Novalie stated strongly as she glared at her sister who just glared back at her. I looked between them with wide eyes before pulling my bagel from the toaster.

"Whatever..." Claire grumbled, mumbling something under her breath as she grabbed her bag and stormed to the living room.

"Huh? What's that? Let me know and you won't be going anywhere this afternoon!" Novalie yelled causing Claire to scoff.

"Nothing! Dang!" Claire yelled back as she slumped down on the couch causing Novalie to roll her eyes before looking at me with exhausted eyes and looking at my bagel.

"Here." I chuckled as I handed her half causing her to grin and bite into it.

"Thank you. You can tell Brooke she can pick her up later today. She gets out of cheer practice at four."

"Mmmm..yes ma'am." I moaned quietly causing her to giggle and roll her eyes with a knowing smirk on her face as she ran a hand down my chest.

"Stop playing. Don't make me late to your class now, Professor."