eight

I watch from the stairs as the maid opens the door.

Mikkel stands there with a blank face, and a duffle bag over his shoulder. The maid let's him in, and he sets his bag down next to the door.

"Tiffany!"he calls in his deep new your accent.

I roll my eyes and walk back into my room. I walk over to my bed and I begin tidying my covers.

I hear my bedroom door click open and ignore it. I feel hands on my waist, and his lips come to my neck.

I shrug him away.

"Oh, now it's a problem."Mikkel huffs, stepping away.

"Was that you trying to be romantic?"I ask.

"I actually don't have fuckin time for this, where's your dad?"he asks, walking out of the room.

I roll my eyes.

.....

"How long will you be gone daddy?"I ask quietly.

"Just 5 days. Maybe longer if things go wrong."He says.

"Just hurry back okay."I say, hugging him.

He chuckles and hugs me back.

Mikkel's eye roll was almost audible from behind us.

"Alright princess, I'm headed out."he says, pulling out of my grip.

I pout a bit as he leaves the house. The front door closes and I bite the inside of my cheek, folding my arms.

I look back at Mikkel, who was leaning against the couch, scrolling in his phone.

I roll my eyes and walk past him. He scoffs.

"You really think that's going to fix anything kid."he asks, making me stop in my tracks.

"Can you say anything encouraging you dyslexic apricot of a fucking human?"I ask.

"Wow, that hurts Tiff."he says nonchalantly, looking down at his phone.

"What the fuck do you think that was in my room? It's like watching a kid with parkinson's trying to aim a bow and arrow."I say, walking up to my room.

I hear him huff and begin to follow after me.

He follows me into my room and I scoff as he folds his arm.

"Why do you deserve to be treated romantically?"He asks.

"Do you think just because my dad is rich means I'm spoiled and entitled?"I ask, putting my hands on my hips.

"Yes."he says.

"Why does that make me undeserving of romance?"I ask.

"You take everything you have for granted."he says.

"I bet you were entitled and spoiled once. What was it that you took for granted?"

This question silences him. His eyes look me up and down for a bit and then he puts his hands on his hips.

"So you want romance, hm?"he asks.

"A little would be nice."I say.

He nods.

"Once, you'll get romance. Once."he says as he turns around, leaving the room.

I roll my eyes and go back to tidying my bed.

....

I chuckle as I wash potatoes off in the sink.

"My first husband was the love of my life, oh, he was supposed to be my one and only."Miriam says.