Forty

I chuckle, sitting next to Alecia as she turns pages in a large photo album.

"Mikkel, when he first got to America from Russia."she says, pointing to a tall boy dressed in fancy winter attire.

I chuckle at how pale his cheeks looked.

"You know, I've known him all this time and I don't have a picture of him smiling."she says as she turns the page.

I see a picture of a younger Mikkel, he was bruised and recently cut across the face.

"My god what happened there?"I ask.

"Oh. That's when he was 16. Some people from the Mafia found out he had ties to the Russian Mafia. Kidnapped him and his girlfriend."she says.

"Oh my god."I say.

"He said they played the quiet game, saying whoever talks first dies. He was planning to send the recording to the Russian Mafia. A man started torturing them both, the last straw for his girl was seeing them try to cut off his face."

"She lost and the guy slit her throat."

I wait with my lips quivering.

"What happened to Mikkel?'i ask quietly.

"I don't know. After seeing them kill his girlfriend he says he blacked out. Woke up and he was covered in blood, stabbing what used to be the guys chest with a sharp metal pipe."she says.

"Oh my god."I say.

"He's a hard, hurt man, Tiffany. But he hasn't broken down yet. Which is why it's okay for us to talk about it. He's very strong."she smiles.

I smile as well and Mikkel comes back into the kitchen with Tony.

"Ma the fuckin photo album? Really?"he says, making us both chuckle.

"Hey let the women have fun. "Tony chuckles.

Tony had a faint Spanish accent, I can now see where Mikkel learned to speak Spanish.

"Tiff come on, come help me gather my stuff."Mikkel huffs.

I chuckle as I get up, walking with him towards the stairs.

....

As we enter his room he closes and locks the door. He then pretends to silently scream as he runs his fingers through his hair.

I laugh and smile as I look around his room.

"They kill me I tell you."he says.

"They're both so lovely. And you're just like them in some ways."I say.

"She's always embarrassing me."he huffs.

"She's cute. And that cooking, good god."I say.

"Yeah. They were both badasses. In the game once."he says as he opens his closet.

I notice how clean his room was and I chuckle.

"What did they do?"I ask.

"Accounts. Met in Moscow, fell deeply in love. Pretty romantic hm."he says.

"Absolutely."I say.

I grip his shoulder and pull him back towards me. He follows me to the bed and I sit down before him.

"Maybe we should spend the night?"I say.

"Why?"he asks.

"It..feels like home here. I'm not used to seeing parents in love."I say.

Mikkel looks at me, expressionless, and then his cheeks turn red.

"Fine. Whatever."he says.

I smile and hug his waist.