Sixty Eight

Mikkel

I look down at Tiffany who was peacefully asleep in bed. I huff as I pull the strap of my duffle bag over my shoulder.

I look down at her beautiful sleeping face, my lips quivering as I do.

This could be the last time I ever see her again. This could be our last moment together.

My breathing hitches as I lean down and press a few soft kisses to her lips and then standing straight.

I quickly turn away from her, tightening my backpack straps and then quietly leaving the room.

I hold my breath as I run down the stairs and towards the front door.

I meet Miriam there, who was on her way to the kitchen.

We both stop, looking at each other.

"¿Señor?"she says.

I release my breath and go into my pocket, pulling out a card with the number of a disposable cell phone on it.

"Give this to Tiffany, when she wakes up. Please?"I ask, holding it towards her.

She gently takes it with a soft smile.

"Of course. Be safe mijo."she says, stepping aside.

I smile slightly as I walk past her.

......

Tiffany

I open my eyes and smile at the butterflies I instantly felt. Incredible, everything was incredible. The best I've ever had.

And I realized last night how much Mikkel actually loves me. It was like falling in love with him all over again.

I stretch a bit and then look over to my side, looking for Mikkel.

I smile, thinking he could be in the bathroom. I get up, scratching my scalp and trying to regain balance in my sore legs.

I chuckle as I look into the mirror on the dresser, seeing myself. Although this time I didn't feel gross, or ashamed.

I felt proud of my hickeys and frizzy sex hair.

I smile and spin around before walking towards the bathroom door and knocking. I wait for a response for a bit but I don't get one. Confused, I twist the knob and open the door.

I peak my head inside and see the room empty.

I walk away from the bathroom and towards the bedroom door, opening it and walking out. I look over the railing and don't see him.

I look to the left and see a maid cleaning.

"Have you seen Mikkel this morning?"I ask.

"No ma'am. I've been here sense five this morning."she says softly.

Instantly I feel something is wrong.

I run down the stairs and into the kitchen. I see Miriam preparing breakfast, and she instantly looks down as she sees me.

I walk over to her.

"Miriam, have you seen Mikkel?"I ask softly.

She looks down and then pulls a small card out of her apron pocket.

"He asked me to give this to you."she says.

She hands me the card and I see a phone number.

My lips tremble as I turn and run back up the stairs int the bedroom.

I walk to the bedside table, seeing mine and Mikkel's phones together there.

My breathing hitches as I pick up my phone and then sit down on the bed, dialing the number on the card.

....

Mikkel, who was sitting with a large gun in the cab of a helicopter feels his leg vibrating.

He takes out the disposal cell phone he had and sees Tiffany's number.

He huffs and plugs the phone into the helicopters headset, and then answers.

He hears Tiffany's frantic breathing, but doesn't respond.

Tiffany could clearly hear the helicopter in Mikkel's phone audio.

"M-mikkel?"she says.

Mikkel doesn't respond and Tiffany whimpers.

"Mikkel. You turn that fucking helicopter around and come back here now."Tiffany demands, her voice shaking.

Mikkel softly shakes his head.

"I can't."he says.

"No! You can't do this! You promised me Mikkel you fuckin promised me!"Tiffany screams into the phone, her face red and her eyes puffy with tears.

"Come back here right now! I'm not fucking kidding Mikkel, COME BACK!"she demands.

Mikkel looks down as she begins weeping.

"Say something! Why aren't you saying anything!"Tiffany screams.

"Tiff I just wanna-"he stops talking and swallows the lump in his throat, not wanting his voice to crack.

"I just want to hear your voice, Tiffany. Yell, scream, cuss me out j-just..do anything."he says quietly.

Tiffany hears the emotion in his voice.

Her lips quiver and she clenches her eyes closed.

"I, am so obsessed with you Mikkel."Tiffany whimpers.

Mikkel let's out a sigh, closing his eyes and letting a tear roll from each eye.

"I'm so obsessed with you that you're the first and last thing on my mind before bed, and you're all there is to dream about in my dreams."she says as Mikkel wipes his cheeks quickly.

Tiffany weeps softly before speaking again.

"And I'm so scared of losing you. Mikkel I'm so scared, please come back."she cries.

Mikkel covers his red face and takes a deep breath.

"I love you."Mikkel says before hanging up.

"NO! MIKKEL NO!" Tiffany shouts, quickly trying to redail the number.

Mikkel keeps his eyes closed, sealing in the tears as he drops the phone out of the helicopter and into the ocean.

Tiffany cries out as she begins dialing the number repeatedly, each call failing.

"Fuck! Fucking liar! FUCKING LIAR!"Tiffany screams, throwing her phone against the ground.

She sinks down and begins sobbing into her hands.

Tiffany knew what Mikkel's father was capable of.

She knew Mikkel was scared. Mikkel is never scared, so if he was scared of his father, it must be life or death.

Tiffany was scared.

She could never see him again.

......