Sixty Nine

Mikkel looks up from the forests below. To the school where he was raised.

"What's your plan of attack?"someone asks.

Mikkel looks back, seeing Jord.

He huffs and looks back towards the base of the mountain where there was a service tunnel.

"In there there's a service elevator that takes us straight to the main kitchen. That's our in."Mikkel explains.

"It looks pretty busy, mik. How are we getting past those guys?"Jord asks.

"Don't worry about that."Mikkel says, looking up again.

....

Tiffany opens her eyes. She emerges from under the covers and groans as she sits up.

She looks around the empty dark room and lets out a labored huff. Then, she lays back, nuzzling against the pillows that smelled of Mikkel.

It had been two days. Nothing from Mikkel. She didn't even know if he was alive.

The door open followed shortly followed by three small knocks.

Miriam pokes her head into the room with A plate of food.

"Tiffany? Are you okay chica?"she asks.

She looks around the room, seeing it cluttered a bit.

Tiffany doesn't respond.

Miriam huffs and then walks over to her, setting the plate down.

"Can you eat something for me, hija?"she says.

Tiffany looks at the scrumptious lunch Miriam had prepared, but she couldn't get hungry.

"Not right now Miriam. Just put it on the table."she says softly.

Miriam looks over to the night table, seeing untouched plates from days before and she lets out a sad hum.

"Bebita, get up with me today."she says softly.

Tiffany sighs, letting a tear roll down her nose.

"I don't think I can, Mir."she says softly.

"Of course you can. Come on baby, let me help you."

Tiffany huffs, pushing the blanket away from herself.

She allows Miriam to pull her and sit her up, then she brings her legs out of the bed.

"You're doing so good! Look at you go!"

....

I smile gently as I see Miriam with her large sun hat, running around the colorful farmers market excited.

I held one of her wicker baskets, filled with fresh corn and tomatoes.

"Look at these, Tiffany."she says, pulling my arm.

It was a little game.

"Do you like watermelon? I can always pick a perfect one. Most of these here are unripe, and if you pick the ripe one on the first try you win a prize!"she says, making me chuckle.

"It seems very fun."I say with a soft smile.

"Why don't you give it a try? Come on Hermosa I'll pay for you."she smiles.

"Oh, no. I don't thi-"I look back, seeing her already friendly conversing in Spanish with the vendor, handing him a folded five dollar bill.

"Come on! Have a go young lady."the man smiles.

I get nervous as I look out along all of the watermelons.

I feel a poke in my ribs and I look down seeing Miriam nodding in the direction of a melon in the front.

"Um, this one."I say.

He picks it up.

"Winner!"

The small group applauds and I smile as he walks over to the prize table and picks up a bear that held a bouquet of yellow roses.

"For you Hermosa!"he says, handing me the bear.

I chuckle at the joy it gave me.

This was truly fun, I was having fun.

"Awe! Look at your beautiful smile!"Miriam says, walking over to me with half of the watermelon in her basket, and two slices in her hand.

"This is nice."I smile as she hands me a slice of watermelon.

...

I smile as we walk towards the exit of the farmers market.

"That was a good day, Mir."I say softly.

"I'm glad you had fun Mija. I love this place, it has the best vegetables."Miriam says, linking our arms.

I look around at all the people enjoying themselves and I frown, looking down at the roses.

Then I notice something strange and I stop dead in my tracks, startling Miriam.

I see it shining in the light and glimmering, it brings tears to my eyes.

I hold up my hand, looking at the beautiful ring on my finger.

"Oh my goodness."Miriam says.

"I didn't even...I didn't even notice it I.."I sputter.

"Tiffany, are you okay?"Miriam asks.

I bite my lips, blinking tears from my eyes and nodding.

"I'm fine. I'm okay."I whimper.

"Let's get you home bebita."she says softly.

....