Thirty Eight

I huff as I begin putting my things away. Mikkel helps me pack my suitcase and I watch him carefully.

There was still so much I didn't know about Mikkel. And how was he still alive.

"If you have questions just ask them. Can't concentrate with your eyes burning into the side of my fuckin head."Mikkel says.

"Are you actually going to answer them?"I ask.

"Sure."he says.

"...are you human?"I ask, making him look up at me.

"Are you serious?"he asks.

I nod and he huffs.

"Yes Tiffany, I'm human."

"Then, why can't bullets kill you?"I ask.

"I don't fuckin know Tiffany."he says, zipping up my suitcase.

"Can anything kill you?"I ask.

"No."he simply responds.

"How do you know?"I ask, making him stop and take a deep breath.

"When I was 6 years old I fell into chemically contaminated water from a lab in Moscow, I drowned and died. When I was revived my entire body was covered in chemical burns, including my lungs, stomach and several other internal organs. After a year of forcing me to be alive the doctors and my parents decided I'd be better off dead."He says.

"But as soon as they decided to kill me I started healing. So fast that in a day all the burns and scars on my body disappeared. People kept saying I was saved my god but in reality the chemicals mutated me. And now I can't die. Happy?"he says before turning back to his suitcase.

"Mikkel, I had n-"he cuts me off.

"Go see what your dad is doing and if we can leave peacefully."

I huff as head to my bedroom door.

....

I walk downstairs, seeing my dad in his office going through paperwork.

"Dad."I say, making him look up.

"Hi Tiffany."he says, looking back down.

"What are you doing?"I ask.

"I'm signing a few things over to you and Mikkel."he says softly.

"Signing things over? Why?"I ask.

"Because I'm leaving, tiff."he says.

"Leaving?"

"Yeah, Mikkel is right. I'm getting old Tiff. And now that you're all grown up, and safe. I've got no need to be in this business anymore."he says.

"But daddy you love your job."I say.

"I also love you. And this job I love just got you kidnapped. So you like the mountain home, it's yours. The challenger, it's yours."He says.

"Daddy-"he cuts me off.

"Anything else you want, it's yours. Babygirl, I love you so much, you're my pride and joy. I hope one day you can forgive me. For now, I'm gonna head back to the house and enjoy my retirement. Come visit me when you can."he smiles as he stands up, closing the folder he was signing in.

"But daddy i-"he kisses my cheek as he walks past with a smile.

"I'm free babygirl, and so are you. Have fun!" He calls as he leave the house.

I sit there in silence and also shock. He just..left?

My lips quiver as I begin to think of how my mother abandoned me the same way.

...

Mikkel turns around as he hears Tiffany enter the room.

"What's he-"he was cut off by Tiffany hugging him, burying her face into his chest.

"What's wrong?"he asks, hugging her back.

She sniffles before she speaks.

"You're not going to leave me, are you Mikkel?"she asks softly.

"No. Of course not."he says.

She nuzzles against his chest and huffs.