Twenty

Tiffany watches as Mikkel slowly pulls off his shirt. She instantly notices the two large bruises on his body. One on his shoulder and the other on his ribcage.

He hisses as he lowers his arm, tossing the shirt on the floor. She couldn't help but feel guilty. Seeing his hand bandaged the way it was, to the numerous other injuries he had sustained from the beating.

She walks over to him and he looks up at her, one of his under eyes bruised and his lips busted.

"Were you scared?"she asks quietly.

He shakes his head, reaching out and gripping her hip, pulling her closer. He presses his face against her stomach and huffs as she places her hands into his hair.

"No. I wasn't scared."he says in his usual nonchalant tone.

"What about your hand?"she asks, gently running her fingers over the bandages.

He sits up, looking at his bandaged hand and missing finger.

"It's cool."he says.
...

"So. When do we tell my dad we killed my mom?"I ask quietly.

He looks up at me with a small smile.

"Never. As of now, she's a memory."Mikkel says quietly.

"Was it true what you said? About loving me?"I ask quietly.

He nods, as if not wanting to admit it out loud again.

"Why?"I ask.

"Because your different. Can we stop with all the fuckin questions now?"he asks.

This makes me smile.

"Okay."I say with a soft smile.

I look down at his bruised shoulder and gently touch it.

"You're hurt."I say.

"Just roughed up. I've had it worse."he says.

I was shocked at how well he was taking the pain he was clearly feeling.

"You make me feel safe."I say softly.

"Good."he says against my stomach.

Tears brim in my eyes as he kisses my stomach. I had never been in love before. The feeling was almost overwhelming.

"You better not be fuckin crying."he says, making me chuckle.

...

Mikkel walks out of the room and down the stairs, smelling expensive cigar smoke.

He enters the sitting room, where he sees Stephen sitting at the kitchen counter.

"Yeah."Mikkel says, making Stephen look up.

"Well. If it isn't my new son in law."Stephen says, ashing his cigar into the tray.

"I guess."Mikkel says.

"Mikkel. Come have a seat kid."

Mikkel walks over and sits down before Stephen as he huffs.

"Mik. I like you, you know."Stephen says.

"Yeah, I can tell."Mikkel says, looking at the stump of a finger he now has.

"Mikkel. My daughter is very important to me. And I like how you take care of her. What you did with that Charlotte girl, like art. And that goon that came to the house? Not even a sweat from you there, hm."he says.

"What's your point."Mikkel states, annoyed.

"I want you to head my new operation downtown. Comes with a 7.4 million dollar mansion and 40 million in revenue each month."Stephen says.

"The catch."Mikkel asks, sitting back.

"Catch?"Stephen says with a smile, sitting back as well.

"I'm not fuckin stupid Stephen tell me what's up."Mikkel says.

Stephen chuckles, snuffing his cigar out into the tray.

"I want you to stop seeing my daughter."Stephen says.

Mikkel chuckles a bit.

"Are you fuckin crazy? Didn't I just lose a finger over her?"Mikkel says.

"It's not that I don't respect you lad. But Tiffany, she's my baby girl."Stephen says.

"Your babygirl isn't a god damn baby no more. She can make her own decisions."Mikkel says.

"So are you gonna take this deal or what?"Stephen asks.

"No. I'd rather stay with tiff."Mikkel says.

Stephen chuckles.

"It's that serious eh?"

"You wouldn't get it."Mikkel says.

"I don't think I would, no."Stephen says.

"Are we done?"Mikkel asks.

"I only have a few more words for you lad."Stephen says, sitting up.

"You watch what you do to my daughter around me. You'd better treat her right."Stephen says.

"I'll treat her how she wants to be treated."Mikkel says as he stands.

"You're mighty bold for a hot headed Russian."Stephen says.

"I'd say the same to you, but unfortunately we're not on the same social class."Mikkel says as he walks away.

Stephen chuckles as he watches Mikkel leave the room.

He opens up the manilla folder on his desk and looks at the picture of Mikkel inside.

Mikkel looked very different from when he was younger. One of the major differences was the large slash like scar across his face that was now hardly visible.

"I'll wear him down eventually."Stephen says quietly, rubbing his chin.

....

Mikkel walks into Tiffany's room, seeing her sitting before her mirror admiring a bruise on her collar bone.

"How'd that happen?"Mikkel asks, making her turn around.

"The guard that locked me in the den threw me to the ground really hard. I told daddy but I doubt he'll do something about it."Tiffany says.

"What did he want to talk to you about?"

Mikkel was more focused on the bruise left on Tiffany.

"Nothin."Mikkel says, sitting down on the bed.