Attacked. ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴇʟᴇᴠᴇɴ

Tw: mention of being attacked, just so you know it's Mal being hurt.

Mal stepped up the ladder, going to the top of the bus to be the lookout. It was dark, with flowing fog at the bottom of the bus.

Mal put the goggles up to her face, looking around at the beautiful fog.

Down below her, she could hear them all talking. She continued looking at the fog, looking for anything unusual.

Mal felt the presence of someone beside her. Then the voice of max came.

"It's kinda awesome." She spoke.

"Huh?" Mal asked, confused on what she was talking about.

"The fog, I mean." Max's soft voice said. "Looks like the ocean."

This caught Mal's attention the most. The ocean was beautiful. So was max.

"You miss it?" She asked.

"What?" Max asked.

"The ocean. The waves? California?" Mal said to her.

Max shrugged, looking down.

Mal understood that she would miss it. I mean, she did live there for her whole life until now.

"Hawkins seems pretty lame, I bet." Mal said, even though she knew that the town hid many secrets.

"No, no, no, it's not that, it's just..." max trailed off.

Mal could tell max was upset, and she hated the sight of it. Her beautiful blue eyes held sadness, and Mal missed the sight of them holding joy.

"My dads still there, so..." she stopped.

"Why?" Mal questioned.

"It's this legal term called 'divorce'" max joked.

Max bent down some, and continued.

"See, when two married people don't love each other anymore-". Mal cut her off.

"Yeah, I know what it means." She laughed a bit.

"My mom and my stepdad," she paused, "wanted a fresh start away from him. As if... as if he was the problem, which is total bull."

Mal shifted her position so she could face face better.

"And things... are just worse now." She finished.

What did she meant by worse? We're things already bad enough for her?

"My stepbrothers always been a dick, but now he's just angry...all the time and... " max said.

Mal could tell tears were coming to max's eyes. She didn't want her to cry, max deserved to be happy.

"We'll, he can't take it out on my mom, so..." she trailed off.

"He takes it on you?" Mal asked, scared of the answer.

Max stood quiet for a minute, looking at mal.

"I don't even know why I'm telling you this. It's just... I know I can be a jerk like him sometimes." She paused.

"I do not want to be like him. Ever." She said. "I guess I'm angry too, and... I'm sorry." She apologized.

The two went silent for a minute as Mal tried to think of what to say.

"Jesus, I don't even know why I'm telling you this-". Max said, wiping her face.

"Hey. You're nothing like your brother, okay?" Mal told her.

"You're cool and different. And you're super smart. and you're like totally tubular." She said to her.