28. Five?

Something happened to Mallory before the events of 1983.

Vecna had created something to happen to the girl, and then sent it her way.

                     1975, April 7th.

It was Mallory and Michael's fifth birthday. The two twins had been celebrating with their family and friends, having a small birthday party.

Everything was going well, everyone laughing and having fun, eating cake, opening presents and all.

But non of them expected what would happen next. In fact, to this day, nobody but Mal, who even forgot, knows what happened at 5:13pm on that Saturday.

It was when they had finished opening presents and having the actual party that it actually happened.

All five kids were sitting on the ground on the Wheelers backyard, laughing and planning their next sleepover, while talking about their fantasy worlds.

Ted Wheeler, the father of Mal and mike, had suggested the kids play a active game, like hide and seek.

After almost 10 minutes of playing, it was 5:10, and the sun was starting to set. It was a beautiful yellow and orange sunset, with clouds surrounding it.

But just because the sky was pretty, doesn't mean things weren't going to get ugly.

Because just then, at 5:13, when Mal went to hide behind a tree at the end of the yard, by the road, a white van pulled up.

She thought nothing of it at first, but as they started getting slower when the passed by her, she got a bit suspicious and decided to see what they were up to.

Mal always wanted to observe stuff, every time she thought something was suspicious, she would go into spy mode and dig deep into it.

So that's what she did.

She peeked behind the tree beside her, watching as five men got out and walked around the van to talk to each other.

She let her curiosity get the best of her, as she moved forward, trying to listen to their conversation. But that was a bad idea.

Too focused on trying to hear the conversation of the five men, Mal didn't notice the presence behind her.

And that's when someone snatched her up, muffling her screams with a towel, which apparently had something on it, causing the small girl to pass out.

It was only hours later that she had woken up to a dark room.

A door opened and she could finally see light, and a tall man with gray hair walked inside.

"Good morning, five."

Mal made a confused face, not knowing where she was, who the man was, and why he was calling her five. Yes, she did turn five that day, but he said it like it was her name.

"Oh, I must have forgotten to tell you." The man chuckled at himself. "I'm your papa, and this is your home. This is where you belong, five."