29. The end of Mallory Wheeler.

Mal never remembered anything about that day.

It seems as if nobody did either.

But now she remembered. And now max and el both knew about the history of mal and the lab. Mal felt as if she had been exposed.

She turned her head as well as she could, even with the vines around it, too look over at max.

The redhead sat staring ahead, looking both confused, and scared. She turned her head over to mal, the two making eye contact.

I didn't know that happened.

Are we gonna be okay?

Are you gonna be okay?

Mal didn't have anything to answer with that. She knew nothing was going to be okay about this.

"Do you understand now, Mallory?" Vecna's dark, raspy voice asked the girl.

Mal shook her head. She didn't understand anything.

"Mallory, you are the main source of this place. You are why  I created everything I have created. This place, the place you and your friends call the 'upside down', you are the reason of it. You are why it was made, why all of it was made. It is all because of you."

Mal shook her head once again, feeling tears start start to form in the corner of her eyes.

"Y-you don't mean that. You're lying!" She tried to reassure herself. It couldn't be her fault because of everything. It couldn't be.

"Oh, but I'm not, Mallory. You are the reason for the creation of the upside down. You are the main part of the hive mind. We need you. Without you, we are nothing. That's why I've been trying to get to you for so many years. I'm 1983, I discovered how much power you held and how you didn't know about it, so I knew I needed to find a way to get closer to you. So I started with your friend."

Mal couldn't believe the words coming out of his mouth. All she could do was to wish this was a bad dream to wake up from.

"After I found my way to you by taking your friend, I took you. You didn't know, but when I took you, I engraved you in here. I let them take you away from me, from us. Which was a horrible mistake. Because then, in 1984, I tried to connect you all the way back to the upside down, but instead got your friend. I only had a little bit of you, but I could do so much with that. So I got the hive mind to go after you and your friend. You discovered your abilities, but didn't believe in them. I knew you had to be with us. 1985, I craved mg way into you again, but much better this time. I finally got to connect myself with you in a way that would forever be connected. I got your little girlfriends brother, then you, then her, then you again, but without you knowing."

"If... if I'm the- the main part of the hive mind,... and if you need me, then why are you trying to k-kill me? And why did you kill me?" Mal wailed out.

"Because, Mallory... killing you made me closer to you. And when I offered you to join me, you declined. I knew we needed you so we can stay alive, so i tried getting to you. But you were too strong. And without you, we won't be here anymore. As long as you're alive, we are alive. And once you die... we die too. At this point, there was no reason to be here since you didn't join us, no matter how many times we tried."

"We needed you, and you didn't come to us. So we have no other choice then to kill you. Not your friends, not your family, but you. And I wanted to make everyone watch. I wanted everyone to watch as j finally once and for all kill Mallory wheeler, creating the strongest creation ever...

Revenge.

Revenge on you for giving up, revenge on you for not join us. You've gave up so many times, giving up on herself and on your powers... you know you're stronger than that. But you chose not to believe it. So it's revenge on you for not believing in me, yourself, or our creation."