Backstory. ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴇʟᴇᴠᴇɴ

TW!  Abuse and it's a very sad chapter.

She landed on a beach.

Mal looked around, spotting El beside her. Her hair and clothes were soaking wet, and she was cold from the water.

The girls got up, looking around for where they were. Yeah, it was a beach, obviously, but where?

Seagulls flew past the girls, into the sky above the ocean.

Mal's bangs stuck to her face, as she and el looked around for signs of where they where.

"El, Mallie, are you okay?" Mikes distorted voice echoed.

Neither girls answered, not really knowing if they were.

"Are you guys okay?" Mike repeated himself.

El and Mal looked at each other, "I'm okay." They both said.

"What's going on?" Mike asked.

"We're... on a beach." El answered him.

"Okay, I may be dense, but last I checked, there weren't any beaches in Hawkins." Lucas said.

"Why else do you see?" Max asked the girls softly.

The girls looked around the beach. It was truly beautiful. In the distance, there was a woman with blonde hair.

"A woman." Mal told them.

"She's... pretty." El told.

"I- I think she's looking at us." Mal said, as the woman looked straight at them.

The woman waved, laughing. She started cheering, behind the two. El and Mal looked behind him, and there was a boy holding a surfboard running towards her.

"You did it!" The woman's voice echoed.

"There's... a boy." El told the group.

"Did you see that?" The boy asked the girl excitedly.

"Yeah, I saw that!" She told him, before kissing his forehead.

It was a cute scene. A mother and son.

"That was like seven feet!" The boy yelled.

"I don't know what it was; but it almost gave me a heart attack!" The woman yelled jokingly back.

Mal felt herself smiling at the pair. They were having fun, no trouble, and no hurt.

"Ten more minutes?" The boy asked.

The woman though for a moment. "Yeah, okay, ten more minutes." She gave in.

"Okay!" The boy said, running back to the waves.

"But any longer that that, and dads goin girl be mad, okay?" The woman called out to him.

"Okay!" He yelled to her.

The boy was about to go into the water, before the woman called for him.

"Billy?" She yelled.

It was Billy. The little boy that was having fun was Billy. Why was he so young? Was this a flashback or something?

"It's Billy." Both girls said at the same time.

"It's California." Max spoke up. "It's a memory."

Mal looked around, the beach taking in her sight. The beautiful blue waves and White Sea foam was so relaxing to her.

I front of them, no that far away, was red clouds with thunder. It was storming in one part.

It had to be the source.