17. Police.

the four teens waited on the shore of the lake, looking out at the other four Poe Poe on the boat.

Lucas was looking out of the binoculars with Dustin beside him, as max and Mal sat on the shore further behind them.

Mal saw Dustin looking out there nervously as he held the walkie up to his mouth.

Mal walked over to the two, max behind her. She didn't hear anything besides Robin talking.

'Uh, Dustin, your-your compass has gone from wonky to wonky with a capital aHaHaH'

Dustin slowly took the walkie from his ear, as Mal looked out to the people on the boat. Mal watched as Steve stood up on the boat.

"Hey, what's he doing, give my those." She grabbed the binoculars from Lucas, looking out at the group.

Only as soon as she looked out to the group, she saw Steve take his shirt off. Right when she looked through the binoculars, she was half way traumatized.

"Ew!" She screamed, quickly taking the binoculars off and passing them to Lucas, who scrunched up his face when he looked through them.

"What?" Dustin asked her.

"He's shirtless!"

"Ugh, when did Steve get so hairy?" Lucas groaned, taking the binoculars off.

"Right?" Dustin exclaimed. "I keep telling him he needs to tame that jungle but he claims the ladies dig it."

Lucas furrowed his eyebrows together, before looking back through the binoculars.

"Let me see." Max came out of no where, taking the binoculars from Lucas.

"What?" He asked as she took them

"Trust me, you don't want to." Mal warned the girl, but max put the binoculars up to her face anyway.

She looked for barely three seconds, before taking them off and passing them to Lucas. "I don't wanna see that again."

Mal sarcastically smiled at her. "Told you so."

Max rolled her eyes playfully, before smiling at her. Mal smiled back, looking down, trying to hide her blushing.

"So, uh, can I talk to you?" Mal asked her, receiving a nod. Mal took max's hand in her own, before walking past the boys, father away from them.

"So, what is it?" Max asked, turning her head.

Mal smiled at her, before talking. "So, um, I just wanted to ask if you were okay."

Mal was asking this question in fear of herself not making it. She knew her time was coming to see the clock, and every time something like this has happened, she died. Yeah, she came back to life, but this time was different. Vecna already knew her, and Mal was scared for him to not wast any time in killing her.

If Mal didn't make it out alive in this situation, she at least wanted to know how max felt about everything. And if max didn't make it out alive... Mal would never recover.

"I'm... okay, I guess. I mean I escaped death, and this is scary and all... but I feel a little safer when I with you." Mal told the girl, still holding onto her hand.

Mal didn't even try to hide her smile. Max meant so much to her, she never wants to loose her.

"I feel safer when I'm with you, too. And don't worry, we'll all be okay." Mal reassured the girl.

Mal felt herself slowly leaning to max, max doing the same. The two girls were about to share a passionate kiss, until Dustin interrupted the moment.

"Sorry to ruin the moment, but do you guys realize that if there's a gate down there, it's technically a watergate."