26. Danger.

Getting phase two into action, the three inside the house we're putting their shoes on.

After that, Lucas and Mal walked with max to the lantern in the other room, the light on it pulsing in and out.

Mal started at the lamp with hatred. Vecna was the light pulsing, and Mal knew he wanted max. But she was t going to let him.

Max looked back at the two, watching as Mal gave her wide eyes full of concern. She then looked back at the lantern, before putting her headphones on her neck and turning it off.

Mal's heart raced even faster now that the music was gone. When she was tying her shoes together, she had already turned of hers.  

Mal focused her attention back onto max and the blue light in the room. Words couldn't explain the nervousness she felt in that moment.

"Hey! Asshole!" Max called out to the light. "Im here. No more music. No more games. Do you hear me? What are you waiting for, huh?! Come on! Do you want me or not?!"

I'm this moment, Mal would Jas said yes, but stayed quiet in seriousness.

The lantern in front the crew dimmed the light, before taking over max's. The light pulsed, as she turned around, following it.

Mal and Lucas followed closely behind her, following her up the stairs, and into the attic.

The light lead them to a small set up in the attic. It continued pulsing, until it stopped.

"What are you waiting for asshole, hm? I'm right here. I'm right here!" Max yelled at the light, before stopping and getting more calm.

"I know you can hear me. I know you can read my thoughts. Even the worst ones... maybe mostly the worst ones." Max put the light down and took her headphones off with the Walkman, before sitting down on the floor. She hugged he knees together as she sat krissed crossed.

Mal stood by Lucas to the side of max, and gently took the hand of Lucas's in her own. The two gave a small squeeze, noticing the nervousness in each other.

"I've thought about what you said" max took a pause. "About how I wanted my brother to die. I thought that you were just trying to upset me. To anger me. But you weren't, we're you? You were just telling the truth. Billy, he made my life a living hell. Every chance he got. So, sometimes... when I would lie in bed at night, I would... I would pray... I would pray that something would happen to him. Something awful. I knew that he drove too fast, so I would imagine him.. crashing. Dying in that stupid car. I just... I wanted him out of my life. Forever."

Her voice was shaking, as she took pauses to sniffle.

"I wanted him to disappear. The day that he died... I think that's why I just stood there. Watched. Not because I was scared or... weak. But because... I didn't know if he deserved to be saved. And I've tried to forgive myself. I've tried but, I can't. I can't. So now...now when I lie in bed at night... I pray that something will happen to me. That something terrible will happen to me."

Max's voice became more and more distant as she talked, until she became completely quiet.

Mal knew what was happening.

She sat down beside her girlfriend, putting her hand on her shoulder. "Max?" Mal whispered, but she didn't get a response.

Max's eyes were a milky white, and Mal couldn't see her pupils because of the tiny bit of light they had.

Mal and Lucas had both grown more and more worried, the two now sitting in front of her, waving their hand around in front of her face.

"Max? Max!"